Chicken Tortilla Soup ~ It’s healthy, flavorful, easy to make and a complete meal. Especially if you add all the amazing toppings! This soup is truly everyone’s favorite!
Years ago while living in Southern California, I used to have a gourmet foods business. I was lucky (and blessed) to partner with a dear friend and marketing genius who shared with me a passion for all things food and wine.
We decided to sell our offerings at local farmers markets (the cool place to shop on the West Coast).
Our product line consisted of a few gourmet sauces, cookies, brownies and some interesting snacks. After a few weeks of success with our line, we decided to introduce to-go-soups into the menu. This chicken tortilla soup was by far our best seller!
I would shop, prep and cook like a mad woman and Dani would jar, wrap, seal, pack and beautify!
We will wake up at the crack of dawn and drive a couple of cars full of merchandise through the canyon all the way to a very “hip and celebrity packed” market! Some mornings were freezing cold (that would be 68 degrees by California standards), but we always had a great time. We really had the best looking stall at the market and we even dressed the same!
The biggest issue we had was keeping the soup available for purchase for more than 30 minutes! We were always sold out no matter how much we made! It seems like the more I made, the faster it would go! Seriously exhausting you guys!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Anyway, back to the soup. Big shreds of chicken, aromatic vegetables, crushed tomatoes, amazing spices…. all thickened by corn tortillas… yum! I’m about to eat my keyboard! It’s super easy to make and the results are amazing! To take it to the next level of yum, the toppings ~ shredded cheese that will melt as soon as they touch the soup, sour cream or Mexican crema, tortilla chips (feel free to crush them and pour them all over). Top it all off with some creamy ripe sliced avocados and some more cilantro and you’ve got yourself a meal!!
- All soups are better if made with homemade chicken stock. Here’s the recipe for my Basic Chicken Stock. You can always use canned stock if you don’t have any homemade.
- Love Soups? Here are a few other recipes:
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Crema
Ginger and Turmeric Carrot Soup
- How much salt should you use for this soup? Taste your chicken broth first and go from there! Is it salty? salt free? low sodium? You can always add more salt at the end! If you over salt just, don’t panic! just add more broth.
- How much I love Dutch ovens? Too much!! They come in all sizes and prices. If you can get a Le Creuset Enamel Cast Iron French (Dutch) Oven go for it! You will thank me later!
Other budget friendly options like this Lodge Enamel Cast Iron Dutch Oven or this Cuisinart Enamel Casserole are also available!
- This is one of my favorite soup pots on the market Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 8-Quart Stock Pot with Cover