?❤️? BLACK WALNUT CAKE ?❤️?
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups ground black walnuts
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3, 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup butter, shortening, and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the creamed butter alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the 2 teaspoons vanilla and then the walnuts.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 3 cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of each comes out clean. Cool the cake layers thoroughly in the pans, then turn them out onto cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy and smooth. Beat in the 1 cup butter. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, then the 1 tablespoon vanilla.
- Frost cake layers with frosting.