1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare 3 6” cake pans with nonstick spray and parchment paper if desired.
3. Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
4. Run through the ingredients with a whisk breaking up any large clumps.
5. Add in all of the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Add in the carrots and mix until just combined.
7. Evenly distribute the batter between the three baking pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Allow the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan. Then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. While the cakes are cooling, prepare your cream cheese buttercream by creaming together the cream cheese and butter until nice and smooth.
10. Slowly add in one cup of confectioners sugar at a time until combined.
11. Add in vanilla and cream and mix on high for 3-4 minutes until the frosting is nice and fluffy.
12. Assemble the cake by placing one layer on a cake stand or plate and topping with about ½ cup of the frosting and leveling with a spatula.
13. Continue with all layers. Finally cover the entire cake with the frosting, and top with chopped pecans if desired.