Cherry Almond Thumbprint Cookies are buttery rich and the perfect cookie all year long. These will pair nicely with your July 4th festivities!
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Drain cherries well and dry on a paper towel, patting the top to dry as much as possible.
2. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or a hand mixer), beat butter and sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add egg, almond and vanilla extracts, flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Mix about 30 seconds, or until combined.
4. Separate mixture in half into two bowls. Add blue food coloring to one half. Place both bowls of dough into refrigerator for 5 minutes.
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take dough out of refrigerator and sprinkle flour onto table and hands. Take about 1 tsp of each color, press together, and gently roll into a ball, taking care to keep colors separate.
6. Place on cookie sheet and gently press the center of each cookie ball with your thumb.
7. Add a cherry to each thumbprint.
8. Bake for 9-12 minutes, until edges are golden brown.Cool on cookie sheet.
Makes about 24 cookies.