Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls - Packed with brown sugar and cinnamon then topped with a delicious cream cheese icing, these cinnamon rolls are a delectable treat!
1. Add warm milk in a bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the active yeast over the milk and allow to activate. This will take about 3-5 minutes. Once the yeast starts foaming you know it is ready. If it doesn't foam, start over.
2. Once the yeast starts to foam, add in sugar, egg, and butter. Mix well until combined. Next stir in flour and salt. Combine until a dough starts to form.
3. Place dough hook on your mixer (or you can knead with your hands) and mix on a low speed (setting 4 on a kitchen aid) for about 8 minutes. You dough should be well combined and slightly sticky.
4. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with a towl, and allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. I like to place mine on my oven and turn the overhead light on to give some warmth.
5. After the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured surface and roll out to roughly a 9x13 rectangle.
6. Spread your butter over the dough and then add on the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Be VERY generous during this part. Really you can add as little or as much as you would like.
7. Start from the longest end, and roll the dough as tightly as possible. Make sure the end of the dough is underneath so it will now come unrolled.
8. Cut into roughly 1-1 1/2 inch slices and place in a greased baking dish. Place back under a towel and let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
9. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes. You want them to be just golden brown. Be careful not to over bake or you will not have that yummy gooey center.
10. While they are baking, prepare your glaze by creaming together the cream cheese and butter. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until you have a nice thin glaze.
11. After the cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, top with the glaze and serve