1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Stir yeast into warm water until dissolved, about 60 seconds. Stir in salt and sugar and slowly add in 3 cups of the flour. With a wooden spoon, mix until the dough is thick. Add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky, about 3/4 cup. The dough is ready to knead when you poke it with your finger and the dough bounces back.
3. On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 3 minutes. Shape into a ball and, with a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/3 cup sections.
4. Roll the dough into a rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle. Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape. Place on the baking sheet.
5. Use the beaten egg as an egg wash and sprinkle the pretzels with cheese .
6. Bake for about 10 minutes then turn the oven to broil add chopped parsley and bake for 5 additional minutes. Watch to avoid burning the pretzels. Serve hot or store in an airtight container for later consumption.