Cheesy Soft Pretzels
Cheesy Soft Pretzels are homemade soft, buttery and cheesy! Appetizer or snack, dip in marinara, cheese sauce or mustard.
So I know you might be thinking that making pretzels is hard but it really isn’t that hard at all. Once you get the hang of it it really is quite simple. I remember the first time we attempted making pretzels. I was sure the dough would end up in the trash! We were never bread makers or into working with yeast much. But we gave it a chance and boy I’m sure glad we did. And these Cheesy Soft Pretzels are SO worth it!!
After making a few batches of these cheesy pretzels they are a cinch to whip up. Now we make all kinds of pretzels. Sweets pretzels with cinnamon sugar, savory with garlic and parmesan cheese.
Pretzels can be found all over the place these days from the Malls to ballparks to your grocery freezer case. I like them all if I am in a pretzel pinch lol. We tend to make these pretzels on the smaller size but you can make them larger if you like. You can also brown them more if you like. If you like your pretzels browner then add the cheese on a little later. We like these just as posted. You can also shape pretzels in sooo many different ways. long and twisty or the traditional way is how we roll usually.
First what you need for the dough. Just 6 ingredients not including the water and your on your way to soft cheesy pretzels. I’m sure you probably have everything in your kitchen already! Water (that’s a given) sea salt, sugar, all purpose flour, an egg, instant yeast and cheddar cheese.
Your going to stir the yeast into warm water until dissolved, about 60 seconds. Stir in salt and sugar and slowly add in 3 cups of the flour. With a wooden spoon, mix until the dough is thick. Add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky, about 3/4 cup. The dough is ready to knead when you poke it with your finger and the dough bounces back. And that is really the hardest part of the pretzel process!
Fresh and warm from the oven, these chewy twists are a yummy snack. Seriously it is hard to wait for these to get cool to the touch so you can pick them up and start eating them!
The great thing about this recipe is that it is the simplest of doughs. Nothing fancy but the cheese adds a nice touch and once you dip the warm pretzels in your favorite dipping sauce whether it be marinara, ranch, mustard or honey mustard. It is perfect for parties, game day, or just plain snacking.
Make these Cheesy soft Pretzels for your family and friends!!
OTHER APPETIZERS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 1 1/2 cups water, lukewarm
- 2 1/4 tsps instant yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Stir yeast into warm water until dissolved, about 60 seconds. Stir in salt and sugar and slowly add in 3 cups of the flour. With a wooden spoon, mix until the dough is thick. Add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky, about 3/4 cup. The dough is ready to knead when you poke it with your finger and the dough bounces back.
3. On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 3 minutes. Shape into a ball and, with a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/3 cup sections.
4. Roll the dough into a rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle. Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape. Place on the baking sheet.
5. Use the beaten egg as an egg wash and sprinkle the pretzels with cheese .
6. Bake for about 10 minutes then turn the oven to broil add chopped parsley and bake for 5 additional minutes. Watch to avoid burning the pretzels. Serve hot or store in an airtight container for later consumption.