These Animal Cracker Cookies are sure to bring joy and fun to any occasion. Not just for kids, animal cracker cookies are a sweet treat that can be enjoyed by everyone!
With crunchy sweet animal-shaped cookies and a hint of vanilla, these tasty treats are sure to put a smile on your face. Whether it’s an afternoon snack or after-dinner dessert, the cookies always hit the spot.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They are a classic favorite that you can make with minimal ingredients.
- They are fun to make and even the kids can help you in the kitchen.
- The sweet vanilla flavor of these treats is sure to please everyone in the family.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these chewy cookies. All of these ingredients are common pantry staples so you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of money at the grocery store on your next trip.
- softened butter
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- large egg
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- rainbow sprinkles
- frosted animal crackers
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Animal Cracker Cookies
Making these cookies is so easy just follow the steps below or in the recipe card at the bottom of the post and you will have soft and chewy cookies that your entire family will enjoy in no time at all.
Step 1: Mix together the wet ingredients
In a medium size bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth. And, then add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix together until combined.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients
Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix to form the dough.
Step 3: Add the sprinkles
Add in the sprinkles and fold the dough with a silicone spoon.
Step 4: Shape the cookie dough
Form 2 tbsp worth of dough into a ball and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Step 5: Add the animal crackers
Break apart the animal crackers and add 2-3 bits to the cookie. Slightly pressing into the dough.
Step 6: Bake the cookies
Bake for 8 minutes or until slightly golden. And, then let cool and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Additions: Add some chopped chocolate chips or nuts to the cookie dough.
- Salt: Sprinkle on some sea salt before baking for a salty-sweet treat.
- Crackers: Try using different types of animal crackers like mini, sugar-coated, or even peanut butter!
If you love cookies you may also enjoy these Italian Ricotta Cookies.
You will need a few kitchen tools to help you make these delicious cookies.
- mixing bowls
- hand mixer
- parchment paper
- cookie sheets
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up one to week. You could also freeze the cookie dough for up to three months in a freezer-safe bag.
These ingredients don’t stand up well to freezing.
Here are a few tips that you can use to ensure that these cookies turn out perfectly for you every time that you can.
- Make sure to use softened butter and not melted butter.
- Don’t over-mix the cookie dough. Otherwise, you will have tough cookies. Once you add the flour mix until just combined.
- Be careful not to over-bake the cookies or they will become crispy instead of chewy.
- Be sure to cool the cookies completely before removing them from the pan.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can definitely skip the sprinkles if you would like. But, I think they add such a nice pop of color.
Circus Animal Crackers are usually vanilla flavored and shaped like circus animals. While regular animal crackers are slightly more plain in flavor and shape.
Yes, you can freeze baked cookies. Just make sure that they are completely cooled before freezing and stored in an airtight container or bag.
🍽 More Cookies Recipes
Do you enjoy cookies? If so, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Animal Cracker Cookies
- mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- parchment paper
- Cookie sheets
- 7 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 6-8 frosted animal crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium size bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix together until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix to form the dough.
- Add in the sprinkles and fold the dough with a silicone spoon.
- Form 2 tbsp worth of dough into a ball and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Break apart the animal crackers and add 2-3 bits onto the cookie. Slightly pressing into the dough.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Let cool and enjoy!