Almond Joy Poke Cake takes all the flavors of an Almond Joy candy bar and turns them into a rich, moist, delicious cake. It’s a rich chocolate cake recipe infused with a sweet coconut mixture and topped with toasted almonds and chocolate ganache.
We love cake, and we love Almond Joys. So we decided to smash them together and create this poke cake that’s the ultimate treat for anyone who loves the classic almond, coconut, and chocolate candy bar.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s an easy recipe that’s ready in just about 45 minutes.
- It’s a rich cake filled with the flavors of coconut, almonds, and chocolate.
You can find everything you need in one quick trip to the grocery store. There’s nothing fancy about this cake other than its look and its flavor. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Devil’s food cake
- Ingredients listed on the cake mix box
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
🔪 How to Make Almond Joy Poke Cake
Making this cake is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. We know we say that all the time, but hey, we’re all about easy here!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Cake
Prepare the cake batter according to the package directions.
Step 3: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 4: Make the Coconut Mixture
While the cake is baking, mix the sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk.
Step 5: Poke
Remove the cake from the oven and use the end of a wooden spoon or a large straw to poke holes all over the cake.
Step 6: Top with Coconut and Almonds
While the cake is still warm, spread the coconut mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Set the cake aside to cool.
Step 7: Make the Ganache
Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwaveable bowl. Then, microwave at 30-second intervals until the mixture is melted and smooth.
Step 8: Top the Cake
Drizzle the chocolate ganache all over the top of the cake and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Deeper Chocolate Flavor – Try adding a teaspoon of granulated coffee to the chocolate cake mix.
- Devil’s Food Cake – Any dark chocolate cake mix will work.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – You can use dark chocolate chips, as well.
- Chocolate Ganache – You can use chocolate fudge ice cream topping in place of ganache.
If you think this Almond Joy poke cake looks good, then you’ll love our 4-ingredient Almond Joy cookies.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9×13 baking dish
- Mixing bowls
- Microwaveable bowl
Refrigerate this cake for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
- Only microwave the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream at 30-second intervals to avoid scorching.
- Be careful when poking holes in the cake. Only poke 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through so you can slice the cake without it falling apart.
- Space the holes about an inch apart. This also keeps the cake from falling apart when you slice it.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
A poke cake is a dessert made with a sheet cake. Holes are poked all over the cake and a liquid filling – usually Jello or pudding-based – is poured over the cake and absorbed into the holes.
Poke cake gets its name from all of the holes poked in it to absorb the filling.
If you poke your holes too deeply or too close together, the cake will fall apart.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy poke cake? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Almond Joy Poke Cake
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 9×13 baking dish
- mixing bowls
- Microwaveable Bowl
- 15.25 ounces devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs or the amount your box mix calls for
- ½ cup oil or the amount your box mix calls for
- 1 cup water or the amount your box mix calls for
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 12 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your cake mix according to box directions.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile mix together the sweetened condensed milk and coconut.
- Remove the cake from the oven and using the end of a wooden spoon of large straw poke holes all over the cake.
- While the cake is still warm spread over the coconut mixture.
- Sprinkle over your toasted almonds.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the chocolate ganache for topping in a microwave safe bowl combine your chocolate chips and heavy cream.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals until all the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache all over the top of the cake.