Chicken Parmesan – A delicious dish that is perfect for a weeknight or fancy enough for a company dinner.
Chicken Parmesan has been a family favorite for us ( my husband especially). I always double the recipe so he can have a chicken parmesan sandwich the next day for his lunch. Sometimes I will even triple the recipe and store the frozen fried breaded chicken cutlets in the freezer for a quick ” I don’t feel like cooking tonight dinner” lol. Just pull them out, top with sauce then cheese and you have dinner.
This recipe is better than any one I’ve had at a restaurant and with my homemade Italian Spaghetti Sauce it brings it out of this world!
Chicken Parmesan is very easy to make and a real crowd pleaser. I get asked to make this for many a family members birthday dinner.
This is a great family meal that even the younger ones seem to love. and that’s saying something in our family!
Chicken Parmesan is an Italian classic that’s easy to make and easy on your budget. That’s why it is a staple in our house. I think after you try this recipe, it will be a staple in yours too.
Make this Chicken Parmesan recipe today!
- 6 chicken breast cutlets
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- 3-4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- I like my cutlet’s about 1/2 inch thick. If they are too think Slice them and place them between two sheets of wax paper and pound them with a meat mallet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
- Mix eggs and parmesan cheese and dip chicken in egg and parmesan cheese.
- Then bread crumbs .
- Fry in olive oil in hot skillet, turning and browning for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Place chicken in a 9 x 13 pan or suitable sized pan for your chicken.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce over each piece of chicken and sprinkle a bit of chopped basil and chopped parley over each piece.
- Add sliced mozzarella cheese and bake for about 15 -20 minutes until cheese is melted and browned a bit.
The Tomato Sauce Recipe
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 32 cans crushed tomatoes ( see note)
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 fresh basil leaves
2 dried bay leaves
In a large pot heat olive oil , add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent about 3 minutes. season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes basil and bay leaves and simmer covered over low heat for about 1 hour until it has thickened up. Remove bay leaves and throw away. Taste sauce for seasonings and adjust if you need to. Any extra sauce can be frozen.
Note : I like a very smooth sauce so I put my tomatoes in a blender before making the sauce. You can also do this after the sauce is cooked.