This Grinch Mug Cake will make your heart grow three sizes when you eat it. It’s so simple and easy, and the tender cake is colored green, topped with whipped cream, and sprinkled with red candy hearts.
Christmas is coming, you know it’s true, and you want cake, but what to do? We have a treat you’ll surely love – a green cake made inside a mug! Follow the steps, it’s so easy to do, and you’ll have a Grinch cake for 1 or 2!
This Grinch Mug Cake is so cute, and it’s so easy to make, you can have it done in no time. If you’re needing a little Holiday Cheer, this will do it!
This would be fabulous to serve young and old alike, while you’re watching any of the Grinch films. It would make a special evening for little ones even more fun, and festive!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This cake is so incredibly simple to make, and it’s ready in less than 10 minutes.
- The cake is tender, moist, and so delicious.
- The green cake and red heart sprinkles perfectly capture the Grinchy vibe.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It only takes a handful of simple ingredients to make this easy cake. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store. Below, you’ll see the main ingredients for this cake, but you’ll find the complete list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Lime green food coloring gel
- Vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Red Grinch hearts
🔪 How to Make Grinch Mug Cake
Making this recipe is just about the easiest thing you’ll ever do. It’s basically a matter of mixing and microwaving. That’s about all there is to it!
Step 1: Combine the Cake Ingredients
Add milk, oil, flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and food coloring to a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug and stir well to combine.
Step 2: Microwave
Microwave the batter for 1 minute. Remove the mug and check the cake. If it’s a little jiggly, looks very shiny, or is still a bit runny, microwave it for another 10 seconds. Then, remove the cake from the microwave and let it stand for a couple of minutes to cool slightly.
Step 3: Decorate and Serve
Top with whipped cream and red Grinch hearts. Serve and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Any Whipped Cream – You can use any brand of canned whipped cream or whipped cream in a tub.
- Red Sprinkles – If you can’t find red hearts, use any red sprinkles for this recipe.
If you love the look of this mug cake, then check out these Grinch cookies.
It takes next to nothing to make this mug cake.
- 12-ounce mug
- Measuring spoons
This recipe makes 1 individual mug cake. If you plan to make several for guests, you can make them up to a day ahead of time. Cover the undecorated mug cakes with plastic wrap and store them in a cool dry place until ready to serve them.
If you made several of these, and you need to store leftovers, wrap the top of the mugs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
This recipe is so easy that we only have 1 tip for you. The recipe is just that simple.
- Microwaves vary in power, so if your cake isn’t done after one minute, just keep microwaving at 10-second intervals until firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Mug cakes are literally cakes that are made in mugs. The cakes use the same ingredients as standard cake batter.
No one knows for sure. A YouTube video released in 2009 made it an instantly popular treat. However, a year before that, the King Arthur Flour company published a mug cake recipe in its magazine. In the article, it was stated that the cake was already circulating around the country.
Because you’re only 5 minutes away from making a single-serving cake.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy mug cakes and cupcakes? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Grinch Mug Cake
- measuring spoon
- 6 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 6 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Lime Green Food Coloring Gel
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Whipped Cream – Redi Whip or Cool Whip
- Red Grinch Hearts
- In a 12 ounce Microwave safe Mug, add Milk, Oil, Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Vanilla, and Food Coloring.
- Stir well to combine, and place in Microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove Mug from Microwave, and if the top is a little jiggly, or looks really shiny, or halfway runny, place the Mug back in the Microwave for 10 seconds.
- Remove from Microwave, and let stand for 2 minutes to cool slightly.
- Then top with Whipped Cream, or Cool Whip, and Red Grinch Hearts.
- Serve, and Enjoy!