Layered Christmas Gelatin combines classic Christmas colors with the staple holiday flavors peppermint and marshmallow. It’s an easy, festive treat that both kids and adults will enjoy.
We make all kinds of holiday recipes this time of year, and while some of them can be quite fancy, others are super simple. This tasty gelatin recipe is the latter. It makes a festive addition to any holiday gathering, and it doesn’t take a lot of work!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a festive dessert with classic Christmas colors.
- It’s full of the classic holiday flavors of peppermint and marshmallow.
- It’s easy to make!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store. We’re showcasing the most important ingredients below, but you’ll find the complete list of ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Unflavored gelatin
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Red and green food coloring
- Monin peppermint syrup
- Monin marshmallow syrup
- Crushed candy canes
🔪 How to Make Layered Christmas Gelatin
Although you’ll have to be careful when layering the gelatin, this is a very easy recipe to make. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Mix the Gelatin
Add water to a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top, allowing it to bloom according to the package directions. Stir well to blend.
Step 2: Make the Colored Gelatin
Divide the gelatin evenly between 3 bowls. Add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint syrup and red food coloring gel to one bowl, 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint syrup and green food coloring gel to another bowl, and finally, 1/2 teaspoon of marshmallow syrup and sweetened condensed milk to the last bowl.
Step 3: Layer
Fill the small dishes 1/3 full with the green gelatin and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour until set but not hard. Then, pour the white layer and chill in the same way. Finally, add the red layer and chill overnight to set. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and crushed candy canes.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Any Syrup Brand – We love Monin, but you can use any brand of syrup.
- Any Whipped Cream – We find Reddi-Whip easiest to use, but you can use any whipped topping that you might have.
If you love holiday Jello recipes, then check out this Christmas poke cake!
It only takes a few simple items to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small glass dishes
Store these in the refrigerator tightly covered for 7 to 10 days.
We have some tips here to ensure this recipe is just as easy for you as we promised.
- Be sure to let your gelatin bloom before mixing it. The bloom is essential for proper setting.
- Be sure your gelatin layers are firm but not totally set before adding the next layer.
- It’s easy to use a large liquid measuring cup with a pour spout for mixing the gelatin and pouring it into the bowls.
- You can also use a ladle to add the gelatin to the dishes.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
It takes at least 4 to 6 hours to set.
It’s the process of soaking the gelatin in cold water before using it. It allows the gelatin to soften and incorporate fully when you add hot liquid.
You can heat it slowly to help the unbloomed gelatin soften and then set.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy holiday recipes? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Layered Christmas Gelatin
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Small glass dishes
- 4 cups Water
- 4 envelopes of Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Red Food Coloring Gel
- Green Food Coloring Gel
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Syrup Divided
- ½ teaspoon Marshmallow Syrup
- Candy Canes for Garnish
- Redi-Whip Whipped Cream for topping
- Crushed Candy Canes – to top
- In a medium sized bowl, add the water, and sprinkle the Gelatin on the top, and allow it to bloom, following the directions on the package.
- Stir well to blend. Divide the Gelatin into three smaller bowls – 1 1/3 cups each bowl.
- In one bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of the Peppermint Syrup, and stir well.
- Add the Red Food Coloring Gel, about 2 – 3 drops, and stir well to blend.
- In the next bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of Peppermint Syrup, and stir well.
- Add 2 -3 drops of the Green Food Coloring Gel, and stir.
- In the last bowl, add the Sweetened Condensed Milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of the Marshmallow Syrup, and stir well.
- Fill the small dishes 1/3 of the way full with the Green Gelatin, and place the dishes in the refrigerator for 1 hour for the Gelatin to set.
- Check to make sure the Gelatin is firm, or set (it will be set, but not hard).
- Remove the dishes from the refrigerator, and pour the White layer, on top of the Green Layer, making the dish 2/3 full. Place the dishes back in the refrigerator for another hour, to set the White layer.
- Remove the dishes from the refrigerator, and pour the Red layer on top of the White layer, filling the dishes with the Gelatin.
- Place the dishes back in the refrigerator overnight to completely set the Gelatin.
- When ready to serve, place a large dollop of Whipped Cream on top of the Gelatin, and sprinkle crushed Candy Canes on top.
- Serve garnished with additional Candy Canes. Enjoy!