This Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll is filled with delicious, summery flavors and a healthy dose of creamy sweet goodness. This lemon blueberry cake roll features lemons, blueberries, and a cream cheese and whipped cream ribbon all rolled up in a delicious cake and served up by the slice!
Cake rolls are a classic dessert that just looks so fancy. Even though they really aren’t. There’s something about the look of that thin cake sheet rolled up into a pinwheel of cake and cream-filled goodness that just screams “fancy pants”. That extra fancy look makes these cakes great additions to parties and get-togethers, and the best part is that they’re far easier to make than they seem.
We’ve been making cake rolls for years. Usually, we serve them on holidays. We’ll do a strawberry cake roll and a carrot cake roll for Easter or a chocolate cake roll for Christmas. We once did a mint cake roll for Saint Patrick’s Day. This year, we wanted to create a cake roll that was delicious and appropriate for the spring and summer. That’s when we came up with this lemon blueberry cake roll.
Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
If you’re looking for a dessert that is bursting with delicious summer flavors and looks amazing on a plate or serving platter, then look no further than this one. This cake roll features a beautiful, tender lemon cake rolled up with blueberries and a creamy ribbon of whipped goodness that is absolutely overflowing with flavor and is just plain pretty, too!
This cake roll has quickly become a favorite for us and for our family and friends, with everyone asking if we’ll be bringing one to whatever event we’re attending. Outside of events, we’ve also started making this as a dessert just for us. We’ll eat it for dessert – and maybe even an afternoon snack – for a couple of days. Yum.
This recipe is so easy to make, and it’s completely from scratch. You don’t often see those two things together in baking. When you take a look at the ingredients, though, you’ll see almost immediately how simple this recipe is going to be.
It only takes a few ingredients to make the entire lemon blueberry cake roll, and you most likely have almost all of them in your kitchen right this minute. Here’s what you need.
For the Cake
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon extract
- Vegetable oil
- All-Purpose or cake flour
- baking powder
- Powdered sugar
For the Filling
- Cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Whipping cream
- Lemon zest
That’s all there is to it! The ingredients for both the cake and the filling are extremely limited, which makes it easy to get everything you need.
Making the Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
Making this cake roll is so much easier than you might think. The entire recipe boils down to making a thin sheet of cake and rolling it up along with the filling. It might look fancy, but both the cake and filling are simple to prepare, and putting it together is a snap.
You’ll find the complete recipe with ingredients and baking time in the recipe card below, but this generalized recipe will give you an idea of how incredibly simple this recipe really is.
- Spray a 15x10x1 baking pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, and lightly spray and flour it.
- Beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar until peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks until foamy. Add granulated sugar while continuing to beat until combined.
- Whisk in lemon extract and oil.
- Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture.
- Mix salt, flour, and baking powder.
- Fold the dry mix into the wet.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Immediately turn the cake out onto a clean dish towel that’s been sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Use the towel to roll up the cake with the parchment paper still in place. Set aside.
- Mix cream cheese and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Carefully unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper.
- Spread the filling liberally onto the cake and sprinkle with lemon zest and blueberries.
- Roll the cake back up, leaving the seam side down.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Slice and enjoy.
Right now, you’re looking at all of those bullet points and thinking, “I thought you said this was easy?!” We swear we’re not lying. This recipe really is easy. The cake itself is a simple, straightforward recipe, and the filling is just a couple of steps. When you boil it down, this recipe is a piece of cake. Pun quite intended.
This is a simple recipe to make, so there aren’t a lot of tips here. The trick with this cake is that it only looks complicated. We’ve included some basic tips here to make sure you get the best outcome possible, but you should have zero issues.
Stiff Peaks are Stiff
When whipping cream, people often get confused about when to stop the whipping. Just remember that what you’re looking for is right there in the description – stiff peaks. If you have peaks that immediately begin to recede back into the whipped cream, you need to continue whipping. The picks should stand up and stay put.
Fold the Dry Into the Wet
It’s important that you fold your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Recall all that beating you did with the egg yolks and whites? That added air into them. If you stir the dry ingredients into the wet, you’ll release all that air and everything will just deflate.
Keep the Cake Thin
One of the keys to easily being able to roll the cake for this lemon blueberry cake roll recipe is to keep the cake thin. You only want to fill your 1-inch deep pan about 3/4 of the way up. Remember, a thin cake will roll, a thicker cake will crack.
Roll While Warm
Speaking of rolling the cake. Roll your cake up immediately after it comes out of the oven while it’s still warm. The warm cake will roll without cracking, and as it cools, it will naturally want to roll back up again later when you unroll it to add the filling.
In addition to being delicious, this cake roll is great because you can change it up to really make it your own or to take advantage of whatever berries happen to be the freshest. It’s easy to make a few tweaks to this recipe, and it always comes out so tasty!
Try Different Berries
If you’re not feeling blueberries or if you just can’t find any good batches at your store, you can use almost any other berries you like. Strawberries, raspberries, and the like are all excellent options.
Try Different Creamy Fillings
This lemon blueberry cake roll calls for a cream cheese and whipped cream mixture, but you could try other sweet creamy fillings for this recipe. Try using whipped cream on its own. You could also use frosting like vanilla or buttercream, as well.
Serving Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
To serve this lemon blueberry cake roll, simply cut a slice and put it on a plate. Chill or freeze the cake so that it remains firm, and simply cut a slice for yourself or your family or guests. We don’t recommend adding anything to the cake, as everything you need is right there inside of it. Extra toppings will only take away from the flavor.
Make this cake roll for family desserts and afternoon snacks or as a delicious addition to any get-together, potluck, or summer holiday event. It’s always welcome, and it always goes so fast!
Storing Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
This cake roll will keep well in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to three days. For longer storage, you can freeze this cake for up to a month. Be aware that if you freeze the cake, you’ll need to serve it chilled, as defrosted cream cheese can have a grainy consistency.
This Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll is Legit
This lemon blueberry cake roll is absolutely delicious and much easier to make than you might think! With that combination of simple and delicious, you absolutely need to give it a try. Whether you make it for a party or just as a family dessert, you’ll be so glad you did. Give it a try, and we know you’ll love it.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
- 8 large eggs (separate the whites from the yolks)
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour ( you can use cake flour)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounce cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cup whipping cream
- 2 cups blueberries
- 4 tablespoons lemon zest
- Using a non-stick cooking spray, coat the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Place parchment paper, cut to fit, in the bottom of the pan and lightly spray and flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat egg whites, while gradually adding in one cup of the granulated sugar until peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until foamy. Slowly add in ½ cup of granulated sugar while continuing to beat until combined.
- Whisk in lemon extract and oil until combined.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- In another bowl, stir together the salt, flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold the dry mixture into the egg mixture. Pour into the prepared pan, filling about ¾ full. If filled too full, the cake will tend to crack when rolled. If there is some batter leftover, you can make another smaller version of the cake.
- Place on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for approx. 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be cautious to not overbake.
- When done, immediately turn out onto a clean dish towel that you have sprinkled with the powdered sugar. Leave the parchment paper attached and roll up with the towel. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool, seam side down while you make the filling.
- Mix cream cheese and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Carefully unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper. Spread the filling liberally onto the cake surface, sprinkle with the lemon zest and top with the blueberries. Roll the cake back up, having the seam on the bottom. Chill for at least an hour before slicing.
- Instead of blueberries use mixed berries, strawberries, raspberries. Also a mix of raspberries and white chocolate shavings is very tasty.
- Serve with some extra whipped cream and blueberries