This Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe is a classic! It is so easy to make and always comes out moist and delicious. You only need a few simple ingredients to make this cake, and it can be on your table in just over an hour.
This cake is perfect for any occasion, from a weeknight dessert to a special celebration. And who can resist those caramelized pineapple rings and cherries on top? Yum!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is my go-to dessert for any occasion because it’s easy to make and always looks impressive. Plus, who doesn’t love a good piece of cake?
- This pineapple upside-down cake recipe using cake mix is easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
- Not only is it sweet and tasty but it’s also easy to make making it the best pineapple upside down cake you’ve ever made.
- It’s perfect for any occasion and great to celebrate any event.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You only need a handful of ingredients to help you make this cake. Gather these ingredients and get ready to make a tasty dessert that your entire family will enjoy.
- yellow cake mix
- pineapple rings
- Pineapple juice is reserved from cans of pineapple slices.
- melted butter
- light brown sugar
- maraschino cherries, depending on your pan
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make This Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Grease and flour a bundt pan
Spray your bundt pan with non-stick spray and also lightly coat with flour.
Step 3: Pour the melted butter and brown sugar into the bottom of the pan
Pour the melted butter into the bottom of your bundt pan, then sprinkle brown sugar evenly on top.
Step 4: Place the slices of pineapple on the bottom of the pan
Nestle the pineapple slices into the grooves of your bundt pan. You may use more or fewer slices, just depending on the shape and design of your pan.
Step 5: Place a cherry in each slice of pineapple
Nestle a maraschino cherry in between each pineapple slice.
Step 6: Prepare the boxed mix according to the instructions on the package
In a large bowl, prepare the yellow cake mix according to the box directions, substituting the water for pineapple juice from your pineapple slice cans.
Step 7: Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan
To pour the batter into the bundt pan, start by pouring it between your pineapple slices, working your way around. The slices will stand a little more upright, the more batter you add, just add a little at a time between each slice until you’ve added all of the batter.
Step 8: Bake the oven until a toothpick comes out clean
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 33-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean.
Step 9: Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pan
Allow the cake to cook for 15-20 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Step 10: Remove the cake from the pan and allow it to rest
To remove, add a cake stand or wire rack to the top of the bundt pan, then flip the whole thing over. Let the cake rest there until it releases from the pan, then remove the bundt pan.
Do you want to change up this favorite cake recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Nuts: Add some chopped nuts to the batter for a little extra crunch.
- Cake mix: Try using different kinds of cake mixes, like spice cake or chocolate.
- Berries: Swap out the maraschino cherries for fresh berries.
If you love old-fashioned recipes like this one, you may also enjoy this Old Fashioned Hummingbird Cake recipe.
You only need a handful of kitchen tools to help you make this easy dessert recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this classic dessert.
- bundt pan or oven safe heavy skillet
- mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- wire rack
- cake plate or serving plate
This cake is best enjoyed the same day that it’s made but can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap on the counter or in the fridge.
Here are a few tips to help you make this moist cake recipe perfectly the first time and every time!
- Be sure to grease and flour your pan. You can use cooking spray for ease, or you can use butter or shortening and flour.
- If you want to save time and skip this step, then I recommend that you only use baking spray.
- Be careful not to overmix your cake batter. Overmixing can result in a tough cake.
- Make sure that you use pineapple rings in juice and not in heavy syrup.
- Add more flavor to this cake by adding in a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter.
- Make sure that you use oven mitts to remove your cake from the pan so that you don’t burn your hands.
- Instead of a bundt pan, you can also use a 10-inch cake pan or a cast-iron skillet for this easy recipe.
- You can run a knife around the edges of the cake to help loosen them from the pan if you need to.
- Top this cake with a scoop of ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream, and then place cherry on top.
Do you have questions about this classic pineapple upside down cake recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this classic recipe.
You may have not cooked it long enough. Be sure to cook the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You need to make sure that you grease and flour the bundt pan. This will help the cake not stick to the sides of the pan.
You should flip the cake onto a wire rack or cake plate about 15 to 20 minutes after it’s come out of the oven.
🍽 More Cake Recipes
Do you enjoy cake recipes? If so, give these delicious recipes a try:
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Cherry Cheesecake Poke Cake
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Lazy Cake Recipe
- Paula Deen’s Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- Snickers Poke Cake Recipe
🧾Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- bundt pan or oven safe heavy skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
- Wire rack
- cake plate or serving plate
- 1 box yellow cake mix Only use half the oil amount from the back of the cake box.
- 2 20 oz. cans of pineapple rings Use the pineapple with with 100% pineapple juice- not heavy syrup. You’ll only need the rings from 1 can, but you’ll need juice from both cans. Save the remaining rings for snacking!
- Eggs and half the oil, from directions on the back of the box.
- 1 cup pineapple juice reserved from the cans of pineapple slices.
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8-12 maraschino cherries depending on your pan
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your bundt pan with non-stick spray and also lightly coat with flour.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of your bundt pan, then sprinkle brown sugar evenly on top.
- Nestle the pineapple slices into the grooves of your bundt pan. You may use more or less slices, just depending on the shape and design of your pan.
- Nestle a maraschino cherry in between each pineapple slice.
- In a large bowl, prepare the yellow cake mix according to box directions, substituting the water for pineapple juice from your pineapple slice cans.
- To pour the batter into the bundt pan, start by pouring it between your pineapple slices, working your way around. The slices will stand a little more upright, the more batter you add, just add a little at a time between each slice until you’ve added all of the batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 33-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cook for 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- To remove, add a cake stand or wire rack to the top of the bundt pan, then flip the whole thing over. Let the cake rest there until it releases from the pan, then remove the bundt pan.