Orange Brown Butter Scallops – Seared Scallops with Orange Brown Butter Sauce is easy to cook but also the perfect special occasion dinner.
Scallops are on my top list of favorite foods. They are best when cooked simply. Always delicious when garlic is added of course unless that’s just me. The sweet, citrus flavor is such a nice compliment to the scallops.
Citrus and seafood are a match made in heaven.
When cooking the scallops, make sure you dry them first. This will ensure you get a good sear on the outside.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that we have used it for shrimp and pieces of scrod. We cut the scrod into about a 1 1/2 – 2 inch piece and sauteed in the butter and garlic then added the orange juice and zest and it was so amazing.
This recipe is very adaptable. And when it comes to seafood citrus, garlic and butter is always a safe bet.
Make these Brown Brown Orand Scallopstoday!
- 1 1/2 lbs sea scallops
- 1/2 large orange, juice and zest
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Clean the scallops by removing the loose flap or "foot" Wash and dry scallops, season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat add 3 tbsp butter. Keep an eye on the butter you want it to tuen just a golden bron. Add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds then add the olive oil. Remove garlic and set aside. You will add garlic back to the pan later.
3. Place the scallops in the skillet flat-side-down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow them to sear for 1-2 minutes. You’ll know the scallops are ready to flip when they pull away from the skillet easily, and are caramelized. If they don't pull away from the skillet easily from the skillet, give them a little longer.
Flip the scallops, salt and pepper again, and sear for 1 minute. Then add 2 tbsp butter and garlic back to skillet along with the orange juice and zest. Sear for 1 more minute turn off the heat. Toss to coat and add parsley serve immediately. Serve over Jasmine rice or alongside any of your favorite vegetables.