If you’re looking for a side dish that will wow your guests, look no further than the Seven Layer Salad. This classic salad is easy to make and always a hit! The best part is that you can customize it to your liking, so everyone will love it.
Warm weather is on the horizon and it’s also the perfect time to serve up a delicious seven layer salad. This side dish is perfect for potlucks and barbecues, or you can enjoy it as a light lunch or dinner. The best part is that there are so many variations of the seven layer salad, so you can make it your own.
If you love an easy salad recipe to take to a potluck or summer barbecue, look no further! The seven layer salad is always a hit, and it’s so easy to make.
Seven Layer Salad Recipe
This salad is the perfect combination of healthy and delicious. With seven layers of goodness, it’s sure to be a hit at your next potluck or picnic! Plus, it’s easy to customize to your tastes – just mix and match the ingredients to create a salad that’s perfect for you. So bring on the summer weather – with this salad in hand, you’re ready for anything!
We’re not sure what it is about the seven layer salad that makes it so darn appealing, but we could seriously eat it every day and never get sick of it. Maybe it’s the colorful layers of veggies, or the creamy dressing, or the fact that it’s both healthy and delicious…Whatever the reason, this salad is a winner in our book!
So, if you are looking for a simple side dish to take with you to a family gathering give this 7 layer salad a try today!
Seven Layer Salad Ingredients
This ingredients list is just a starting point – feel free to mix and match the ingredients to create a salad that’s perfect for you. One quick trip to the grocery store and you’ll be on your way to seven layer salad heaven! As always you can find the full ingredient amounts listed in the recipe card below.
- lettuce, chopped *** see notes
- eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- red onion, finely chopped
- frozen peas, thawed
- mild cheddar cheese, grated
- green onions, tops sliced thinly, for garnish, optional
- sour cream
- sugar, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
**See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
Seven Layer Salad Instructions
This easy layered salad comes together in just a few minutes with minimal prep. Simply layer the ingredients in the order they are listed.
Step 1: Make the dressing in a small bowl
In a medium bowl whisk all dressing ingredients until well combined, set aside.
Step 2: Add the lettuce to a bowl
In a large glass container with straight sides, add lettuce.
Step 3: Slice the eggs
Slice and add eggs, layering them along the sides.
Step 4: Add remaining ingredients in layers.
Continue with additional ingredients, adding in layers.
Step 5: Use the dressing as the final layer
Spread the dressing over the top layer.
Step 6: Sprinkle the top with cheese and peas
Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese and peas and cover with plastic wrap.
Step 7: Chill in the fridge for at least four hours
Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight before serving.
Step 8: Garnish with bacon and green onions if desired
Before serving, add more bacon and green onions, if desired.
Hint: the amount of lettuce is determined by the size of the container you are using.
Seven Layer Salad Equipment
This recipe doesn’t require a lot of kitchen tools to help you make it. So, gather these few items and you will have a delicious dish in no time at all.
- small bowl
- large glass bowl or trifle bowl
- plastic wrap
Seven Layer Salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Be sure to keep the dressing separated from the lettuce so that it doesn’t become soggy.
Here are a few of my best tips for making sure that this easy seven layer salad turns out perfectly.
- If you are serving this salad the next day, bring it to room temperature before serving.
- If you are using a smaller bowl, you will need to reduce the amount of all the ingredients in this 7 layer salad.
- You can use ranch dressing or a southwestern dressing on the top of this salad instead of the sour cream mixture if you prefer.
MORE SALAD RECIPES
Do you love salad recipes? Here are most salad recipes that you may enjoy!
Seven Layer Salad FAQ
Do you have questions about this layered salad recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, Seven Layer Salad can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
What can I use instead of green onions?
You could use chives or other herbs if you don’t have green onions.
What can I use instead of bacon?
You could use ham, salami or any other type of meat.
Can I use a different type of lettuce?
Yes, you can use romaine, iceberg or any other type of lettuce.
Why You’ll Love This Seven Layer Salad
Layer upon layer of deliciousness – that’s what you’ll find in this Seven Layer Salad. Lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, eggs, and more come together to create a salad that is guaranteed to satisfy. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch option or a hearty side dish, this salad has got you covered.
If you’re looking for a dish that will impress your guests and leave them wanting more, look no further than the seven layer salad. This dish is guaranteed to deliver on flavor and texture, and it’s relatively simple to make. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Cocoa Puffs Cheesecake
Caramel Apple Rose Tart Puff Pastry
Air Fryer Peanut Butter Cookies
Raspberry Cheesecake Cookie Bars
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
Seven Layer Salad
- small bowl
- large glass bowl or trifle bowl
- plastic wrap
- 6-8 cups lettuce chopped *** see notes
- 4 eggs hard boiled and sliced
- 8-10 strips bacon cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese grated
- 4 green onions tops sliced thinly, for garnish, optional
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl whisk all dressing ingredients until well combined, set aside
- In a large glass container with straight sides, add lettuce
- Slice and add eggs, layering them along the sides
- Continue with additional ingredients, adding in layers
- Spread the dressing over the top layer
- Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese and peas and cover with plastic wrap
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight before serving
- Before serving, add more bacon and green onions, if desired
Leave a Reply