Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans made in the slow cooker are the perfect side dish for barbecues, potlucks and picnics. Delicious served with a piece of cornbread!
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans are so easy to make. I use dried beans that I presoak overnight.
I know I have some friends that groan about presoaking beans but really it takes no work. All you do is soak the beans in enough water plus a few inches more to cover them after you sort out any bad beans or rocks that may have been in the bag.
That’s it. Your done! I do this all in my slow cooker pot btw just make sure you don’t turn it on.
Once your done soaking your beans you throw the water and you add in all the other ingredients to the slow cooker and your done.
Who ever thought that beans would become one of our favorite side dishes? Not me that’s for sure. But these beans were a winner from the start.
Now you can make these as spicy or as little spicy as you like. If your family doesn’t like spice you can leave most of the spice out. Add just a small bit of the jalapeños instead of two. You maybe just want a tiny bit of heat and that’s ok.
These beans smell so good while they are cooking. The aroma in the house is incredible.
And if your like us we will make a big batch of corn bread to go along with these bean. It’s perfect to dunk in the broth.
The only thing you cook outside your slow cooker is your bacon. Cook it until it has a nice crisp on it. We don’t like limp bacon in our house lol
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans is delicious comfort food for my family!
Do these beans freeze well?
Yes they sure do. If you have leftover beans you can freeze them no problem! Store them in an air tight freezer container for 3-4 months.
We always store a couple of containers for when we make ribs and corn bread. We just pull them out of the freezer the night before. Let them defrost in the fridge then just reheat when your ready for dinner.
Make these Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans for your family today!
OTHER RECIPES YOUR FAMILY WILL LOVE:
Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes , drained
- 2 jalapeños seeded and chopped
- 8 strips bacon
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can beef broth
- To soak the beans overnight, sort the beans, make sure there is no rocks, bad beans or dirt clumps.
- Add the beans into your slow cooker insert. Cover with enough water to cover the beans plus a few inches. Let them sit overnight, do not turn on the slow cooker.
- In the morning drain the water off the beans.
- Cook the bacon until it is just crispy but not overly crisp. Add bacon and the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours or LOW for 10 hours. DO NOT PEEK!!
- Do not open the lid while they cook, or they will not get tender. This is important when it comes to cooking beans in the slow cooker.
- When the cooking time is done, stir.
This amazing recipe was inspired from my friend Terri Weir from Great Grubs Delicious Treats!