This 3-ingredient Brown Sugar Italian Chicken is a quick and easy dinner recipe that will become a family favorite! The combination of sweet brown sugar and dried Italian seasoning mix rubbed into tender chicken makes this an easy chicken dinner that the entire family will enjoy.
This Italian chicken recipe has always been a favorite in our home. We love easy recipes and this is by far the easiest chicken recipe that we have ever made. Since it’s so simple to make that means that it’s perfect for busy weeknights when you need a dinner that doesn’t require a lot of fuss.
Table of contents
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🔪 How to Make This 3 Ingredient Brown Sugar Italian Chicken
- 🥄 Equipment
- 🥫 Storage
- Serving Suggestions:
- 💭 Tips
- ⁉️ FAQ
- 🍽 More Chicken Recipes
- 🧾Recipe Card
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You only need simple ingredients and you most likely don’t even have to take a trip to the grocery store.
- It’s a delicious chicken dinner that you can feel good about feeding your whole family.
- It uses a budget-friendly protein source so you don’t have to break the bank at the grocery stores.
This 3 ingredient chicken is our favorite easy weeknight meal, these ingredients are pantry staples so you can keep them on hand for when you need a hearty meal without a lot of effort.
- chicken thighs and drumsticks
- brown sugar
- packet of Italian dressing mix
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make This 3 Ingredient Brown Sugar Italian Chicken
Making this chicken dish is so simple, just follow these step-by-step instructions and you will have a simple meal that’s the perfect addition to your dinner rotation.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with aluminum foil
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with a large piece of aluminum foil.
Step 2: Combine the seasoning and sugar
Combine the packet of dried Italian dressing mix and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
Step 3: Season the outside of the chicken
Dip each piece of chicken in the mix and coat all sides of the chicken. Press the seasoning mixture to help it stick. Any extra coating that remains can be sprinkled over the top.
Step 4: Bake the chicken
Bake for 50-60 minutes; baste occasionally with the juice that forms in the pan if you like. If you don’t baste you will have a crunchy top and we find we like this better. We cook for 60 minutes so the chicken is nice and crispy.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Chicken pieces: You can use any type of chicken that you prefer, we like to use bone-in chicken but you can also use boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs as well. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Spicy: If you are a fan of spice you can use a spicy Italian dressing mix or add some red pepper flakes.
- Extra flavor: If you are using skinless chicken we suggest that you coat your chicken in olive oil or Dijon mustard first to help the seasonings stick.
See this spicy version of this recipe on my website! (placeholder for in-content link)
Here’s a list of the equipment that you will need to make this Italian chicken dinner:
- baking dish
- aluminum foil
- small bowl
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can also freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to three months.
This easy chicken recipe is delicious all on its own however it’s also great when paired with white rice, Amish mashed potatoes, and Spicy green beans with caramelized pecans. You can also serve this meal with a sweet treat like this Nutella Tart.
Here are a few tips that you can use to ensure this recipe turns out perfectly for you when you make it:
- Instead of using chicken try using pork chops. It’s another delicious way to use this brown sugar rub.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken with an instant read meat thermometer to ensure that it reaches the correct temperature.
- We like to use dark brown sugar, but light brown sugar would also work for this tasty recipe.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees f in the thickest part of the chicken.
We like to reheat chicken in the oven at 350 degrees f for about 10-15 minutes.
It’s important to let the chicken rest for about 5-10 minutes after cooking. This allows the juices to redistribute and keeps your chicken moist and tender.
🍽 More Chicken Recipes
Do you enjoy chicken dinners? If so, give these recipes a try next time:
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Bake
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Noodles
- Slow Cooker Chicken Ceasar Sandwiches
Want to make this 3 ingredient brown sugar italian chicken recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
3-Ingredient Brown Sugar Italian Chicken
- 9×13 baking dish
- 4 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 dry envelope Italian dressing mix
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Line a 9×13 pan with a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Combine the packet of dried Italian dressing mix and 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Dip each piece of chicken in mix and coat on each side pressing mix on chicken. Any extra coating that remains can be sprinkled over the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes; baste occasionally with the juice that forms in the pan if you like. If you don't baste you will have a crunchy top and we find we like this better. We cook for 60 minutes so the chicken is nice and crispy.