These Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies give us all the delicious flavor we love about apple pies in a portable, hand-held treat that’s as easy to make as it is to eat!
Get ready for an apple pie that you can finish in just a couple of bites. That’s right, we’re talking about hand pies! These little bites are perfectly golden and flaky on the outside and loaded with gooey apple pie filling on the inside.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They’re loaded with all the flavors we love about apple pie.
- They’re an easy-to-make semi-homemade treat that you can whip up in a flash.
- They’re golden and flaky on the outside and stuffed full of apple pie goodness on the inside.
- Individual desserts are always fun!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. We’re serious. It takes 5 ingredients. You can find the full ingredient list – short as it may be – in the recipe card at the end of the post, but here are the highlights.
- Refrigerated pie crusts
- Apple pie filling
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
Making this recipe is ridiculously easy, and that’s just the way we like it. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Cut Out the Crusts
Unroll the crusts onto a lightly floured surface and use a 2-inch cookie cutter to cut out as many pie circles as you can.
Step 2: Fill the Crusts
Fill the center of each crust with apple pie filling, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edges.
Step 3: Complete the Pies
Brush the edges of the bottom crust with egg wash and place another pie crust round on top. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal and gently cut 2 to 3 slits in the center of the pie. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle it with coarse sugar. Repeat until all pies are made.
Step 4: Air Fry
Place the filled hand pies in the air fryer basket and air fry for 5 minutes at 375 or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Different Filling: Use any of your favorite pie filling for this recipe. They all work.
- Cheddar Cheese: For a rustic flavor, add a touch of cheddar cheese to the top of the pies before air frying.
- Caramel Apple Pie: Add 1/3 cup of caramel sauce to the pie filling.
- Apple Cinnamon Pie: Add 1 teaspoon of filling and sprinkle the top of the pies with a pinch of cinnamon.
If you’re already loving this recipe, then you’ll want to check out these blueberry hand pies.
It takes next to nothing to make these easy hand pies. You don’t need much of anything!
- Small bowl
- Air fryer
Store these in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap them individually in a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze them for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
This recipe is so easy that we only have 2 tips for you. That’s it!
- Always preheat your air fryer. It’s a myth that air fryers don’t need to be preheated.
- Be sure to leave a 1/4-inch border around the edges of the crust when filling so you can completely seal the pies and prevent any filling from oozing out.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Absolutely. We’re not sure where this myth began, but air fryers DO need to be preheated for proper cooking.
They sure do. The only difference between them is their size.
You probably didn’t leave enough space around the edges of the crust. Another reason might be that you didn’t adequately crimp the edges to seal them.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy pie? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
- small bowl
- Air Fryer
- 14 ounces refrigerated pie crusts
- 21 ounces apple pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Coarse sugar optional
- Unroll the crusts onto a lightly floured surface. Use a 2” round cookie cutter to cut out as many circles as you can— about 8.
- Fill the center of each circle with apple pie filling (about 1 tablespoon), making sure to leave a ¼” border around the edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk to make the egg wash.
- Brush the edges of the filled circle with the egg wash and place another dough round on top. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal the filling in and gently cut 2-3 holes in the middle of the pie, this will help release the air so the pie doesn’t explode! Brush the top of the pies with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using.
- Repeat with the other pies.
- Place the filled pies in the air fryer basket and at 375F until golden brown– about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately and store any leftover pies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.