Apple Streusel Coffee Cake delivers all the flavors of fall in an easy-to-make recipe. Tender yellow cake, shredded apples, and cinnamon make a sweet treat that’s perfect for the fall season, but that you can also enjoy any time of year.
This Apple Streusel Coffee Cake just screams deliciousness!! This is my favorite kind of cake to make because it starts with a box mix that you jazz up with apples, cinnamon, and a luscious streusel topping.
There are two things that just scream fall – pumpkin, and apples. We’ve shared a ton of pumpkin recipes with you, and now we want to show off some apple goodness. This recipe is quick and easy and makes a great dessert, sweet breakfast, or afternoon snack. It’s super easy, too! Yes, we know we already said that.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
- It’s a quick and easy recipe that you can make in no time.
- It’s full of apple cinnamon flavor.
- It’s a versatile treat you can serve for breakfast, brunch, dessert, or an afternoon snack.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients, the majority of which are basic baking staples. We’re sharing the ingredients here that give this recipe its signature flavor, but you can find the full list of ingredients in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Yellow cake mix
- Coarsely shredded apples
🔪 How to Make Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
Making this cake is incredibly easy. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps. The most time-intensive part of this recipe is simply waiting for the coffee cake to bake!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan. Set it aside.
Step 2: Make the Cake Batter
Combine the cake mix, milk, oil, eggs, and cinnamon. Then, stir in the grated apples. Pour into the greased loaf pan.
Step 3: Make the Streusel Topping
In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, and flour with a fork until the mixture forms large crumbs. Sprinkle it over the coffee cake batter.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Cool
Remove the coffee cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove the coffee cake from the pan and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Topping: Add cinnamon, oats, or crushed nuts to the topping mixture.
- More Fall Flavor: Use pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice in place of cinnamon.
- Add Nuts: Adding nuts to the batter gives a great flavor and texture.
- Peel or No Peel: This recipe is delicious with or without the peel on the apples.
If you think this looks good, then we think you’ll enjoy this pecan pie coffee cake.
You don’t need much to make this recipe. It only takes a few simple kitchen supplies.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Loaf pan
- Cooling rack
You can store this coffee cake covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also refrigerate it to extend its life to about a week.
For longer storage, wrap it tightly in a double layer of cling wrap and a layer of foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Although this is an easy recipe, there are a couple of things to keep in mind when making it.
- Be very careful when shredding your apples, especially when you get to the end of your apple. Don’t try to shred the last little bit. You don’t want to shred your fingers!
- Be sure you grease every nook and cranny of your loaf pan so your coffee cake pops out easily.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
A coffee cake is a sweet cake made in a loaf pan and intended to be served with coffee or tea.
Sometimes. There are coffee cake recipes that do have coffee in them, but not all of them do.
If you want warm coffee cake, warm it in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy apples? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cutting board
- mixing bowls
- Loaf pan
- cooling rack
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 apples coarsely shredded
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine your cake mix, milk, oil, eggs and cinnamon.
- Stir in your grated apples.
- Pour this mixture into your loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar and flour together with a fork until it forms large crumbs.
- Sprinkle this over the cake batter in pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- You can add cinnamon, oats, or crushed nuts to the topping mixture.
- You can substitute pumpkin pie or apple pie spice for the cinnamon.
- You can peel your apples if desired. You can also add nuts to the cake batter.