Beef Barley Soup
Once the fall season starts coming around the corner, I start thinking about all the various soups and stews that I can make. One that I look forward to making every single year is this Beef Barley Soup.
The chunks of beef are hearty and make it one meal that really fills up your tummy and makes it nice and warm.
Plus, the added vegetables give it a healthy kick in making certain that it’s a well-balanced meal.
Is it possible to make this in the slow cooker instead of on the stove top?
You can, but it will just take a bit longer process. While I haven’t made it in the crock pot I would say to brown the meat in the olive oil first then add the rest of the ingredients except for the peas. Once that’s done, it’s good to set on warm for 8 hours or so.
Make certain the meat and vegetables are cooked all the way through before adding the peas before serving. I defrost the peas before I add them to the crock pot.
What toppings could you serve with this Beef Barley Soup?
Some people like to have options for their stew. Certain toppings could be onions, cheese, crackers or even a dollop of sour cream or Greek Yogurt. If you have people in your family that like to make the stew their own, toppings can easily make that happen!
How do you store the leftover soup?
All you need to do with the leftover stew is store it in an airtight container and place it in your fridge. Then, once you’re ready to eat, just scoop out however much you want and serve yourself. This is such a simple and easy way to have lunch and dinner for several days!
And in case you’re wondering, you can also freeze some of it for later as well. Make a big batch and freeze it so that you can enjoy soup all throughout the winter months.
This Beef and Barley Stew is one soup recipe that you’ll savor and enjoy. Cuddle up next to the fireplace and get ready to warm up your bellies!
OTHER SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Beef Barley Soup
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ -2 lbs. stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Season stew meat with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to the pot and cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot. Stir in beef stock, thyme, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Add the barley and reduce heat and simmer, for 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, stir, and cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the barley is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer about 1/2 cup of the liquid to a small bowl. Mix in the cornstarch and pour the liquid back into the stew. Stir for about a minute to allow the cornstarch to thicken the stew a bit.