These chocolate hot cocoa bombs have an extra something-something thanks to the delicious caramel flavor of the ROLO’S that go into them. Mmm-MMMMMM.
Chocolate hot cocoa bombs are the standard ones that we see all the time. They’re generally a chocolate outer shell surrounding chocolate hot cocoa mix and usually some mini-marshmallows.
We’ve made bunches of the standard hot cocoa bombs, and I’ve even branched out into different flavors like peppermint, but these ROLO’S bombs are something we hadn’t tried before: using candy in our bombs.
They are so good, you guys. The chocolate and caramel of the ROLO’S really adds a pop to the traditional chocolate hot cocoa bomb that we all know and love. It’s a pop that doesn’t overpower the classic flavor. It fits right in, perfectly complimenting the chocolate. And it. Is. Legit. They are THE BEST hot cocoa bombs!!
This is one of my favorite combinations, chocolate and caramel, and these Rolo Hot Cocoa Bombs are absolutely delicious. They’re easy to make, and they’re really fun to serve and to drink. When you pour the warm milk over these, they bubble up in your cup, and the caramel gets gooey, while the marshmallows melt and swirl in the hot chocolate. Everyone is sure to love these. Make sure you keep this one in your favorites.
Caramel Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
There’s nothing quite like caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs to warm you up and make you feel all cozy on a winter day. That steaming mug of chocolaty goodness just feels like being wrapped in a big, fluffy blanket of comfort. Traditional bombs already do that, but adding the ROLO’S candy throws in extra caramel goodness that really does take it all to the next level.
The caramel melts into the cocoa, adding to the richness and delivering an extra depth of flavor that is like drinking the sweet caramel and chocolate tears of an angel. Don’t worry. They’re happy tears. They’re the tears of finding the best hot cocoa bombs ever. No angels were harmed in the making of this recipe.
Now that you’re all fired up about making these absolutely fantastic caramel and chocolate hot cocoa bombs, let’s take a look at them a little more in-depth.
There are several steps to making these bombs but don’t worry, it’s not a hard recipe. The most difficult part will be mastering creating the outer chocolate shell, but even that is fairly simple once you’ve tried it a few times. Bonus – if you mess up a few, that’s just more deliciousness for you to enjoy, so keep your mug handy!
What is the Best Chocolate for these Hot Chocolate Bombs
Most chocolate will work but you will get very different results. I always tell people to use their favorite chocolate. We love semi-sweet, dark, milk and white chocolate so make our cocoa bombs in all flavors.
As far as the brands go we happen to love Ghirardelli chocolate. It melts like velvet and always has the best flavor when it comes to baking. We have used the chips and the bars. But we have used Hershey’s and Nestle’s chips too.
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Alcohol
If your looking to add a little adult fun to these hot chocolate bombs add some alcohol! Salted caramel whiskey is super tasty along side these Rolo chocolate bombs!
You can either pour it in the bombs or in the cup it really doesn’t matter since it all will be going in the same place in the end.
Your other delicious options are chocolate liquor, Godiva liquor, really anything chocolate or caramel would go perfectly. And what better way to get warm and cozy with your friends than with a nice hot cup of cocoa that’s been spiked with a hot cocoa bomb!
This is so easy to do also. No fancy equipment required. Once you add all your other ingredients to your bombs (hot cocoa, marshmallows, rolos or whatever you might be using) place it in a muffin tin so it doesn’t wobble around and just pour some of your favorite alcohol of choice.
Let it set for a bit. You want it to set in the hot chocolate so it’s not runny. then proceed with making your bomb. So easy right?!
When we make alcohol cocoa bombs we do store them in the freezer unless we are using them right away.
This isn’t rocket science. It’s fun food! Let’s keep it simple. And this is easy and simple just pour in the alcohol no special tool required.
Of course you can feel free to add additional alcohol to your drink after you have added your chocolate bomb too! So delicious!!
You will find this caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs recipe really is quite easy, and you’ll see that from the start when you look at the ingredients.
All you need are 7 ingredients, and two of those aren’t even part of the actual recipe. One is a silicone mold, and the other is melted chocolate for drizzling on top. Here’s what you need to make these bombs.
- 16 ounces of Melting Chocolate (Chips or Bar of your choice)
- 2 Packets of Hot Cocoa Mix (About 1 heaping Teaspoon in Each Cocoa Bomb)
- 1 Cup Mini Marshmallows (About 5 to Each Cocoa Bomb)
- 1 Package ROLO’S Chocolate Candies (20 – 25 Ounce Package)
- 6 Cups Hot Milk
- 1 Set of Silicone Molds
- Melted Chocolate for Drizzling on Top of Bombs
That’s it. As you can see, the ingredient list is limited, and that’s good. You can only put so much into those little hollow spheres, after all.
The hardest part is making the sphere and after you have made them a few times it will become like your a sphere making pro!
Making the Bombs
Here’s where things get a bit more complicated with these caramel hot cocoa bombs, but not TOO much more complicated. Again, don’t be intimidated by the process. It really does become quite easy in no time at all.
This is a generalized overview of how to make these bombs. For the specific directions, refer to the recipe below.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Spoon melted chocolate into molds, coating the inside and pouring out the excess.
- Refrigerate to harden.
- Place hardened half shell, open side down, onto a warm skillet to melt the edges and fill with hot cocoa, candy and marshmallows.
- Use your fingers to help seal both top and bottom together.
- Repeat until all balls are done.
- Place the other half shell, open side down, onto a warm skillet to melt the edges and bond the two halves together to form a sphere.
- Garnish the caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs with cut-up ROLO’S candies and chocolate drizzle.
That’s all there is to it. The recipe below has the finer points of this recipe, but this really is the long and short of it. Once you’ve mastered coating the silicone molds, you’re off to the cocoa races.
Serving Caramel Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
Serving these hot cocoa bombs is the same as any other. Just put one in a mug and pour hot milk over the top of it. The outer shell will break, and all that delicious chocolate and caramel goodness will mix with the milk to create an absolutely delicious mug of hot cocoa.
There’s another part of serving these bombs that we think is more fun – gifting them.
These bombs make excellent gifts for birthdays and holidays, and because they’re easy to make, they’re also a gift for you. You won’t have to bake up a storm like you would for some other homemade treats.
To serve these caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs to friends and family, try wrapping them up individually in cellophane in the colors of the season. Reds and greens are perfect for the holidays. Pastels are excellent for Easter – it’s still cold enough to warrant hot cocoa in lots of places.
For birthdays, you can simply fill up a tin with these delicious bombs. Line the tin with tissue paper and fill it up with these tasty hot cocoa bombs. Your giftee will be delighted.
These cute little bombs are the rage for everything! They are perfect to give as a gift for Baby Showers, Bridal showers, weddings, The possabilities are endless.
Caramel Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs Tips
With a recipe as easy as this one, there aren’t a lot of tips. That being said, I want to touch on a few things that will make your bombs the best ever.
Use Quality Ingredients
From the chocolate to the hot cocoa mix, use quality ingredients. That doesn’t mean buying imported Swiss melting chocolate and the most expensive cocoa mix on the market. It just means buying ingredients from brands you trust. We’ve had some major disappointments using bargain-basement ingredients, so don’t repeat our mistake!
Don’t Be Intimidated by the Shells
Your first time making the shells for these caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs will be a bit intimidating, but don’t let that deter you. Approach the process confidently and get those molds coated!
If you wait too long, the chocolate will start to thicken up, making it harder to coat the molds evenly. So just plot it in there and coat it up well. Remember, you’ll just pour out the excess, anyway.
Don’t Make Your Skillet Too Hot
One of the biggest mistakes people make when they try their hand at making hot cocoa bombs is heating up their skillet too much to melt the edges of their half-spheres.
You only want the pan to be warm. If you make it too hot, you’ll melt more than the edges and your bomb will be all wonky – if it even seals at all.
Storing the Hot Cocoa Bombs
These caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs will last for anywhere from 6 to 12 months in a cool dry place when stored in an air-tight container. I like to store them in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend the pantry unless it is cool. The refrigerator is best to keep everything fresh.
Basically, the shelf life of these bombs is dependent on the shelf life of the ingredients used to make them.
They’ll be good for as long as the sell-by dates on the hot cocoa mix, chocolate, and candy.
That being said, the flavor of the bombs will begin to deteriorate after a couple of months, so the sooner you use them, the better. This is never a problem for us. we usually use ours within a couple of weeks it seems.
Caramel Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs FAQ
Before we go, we want to hit the highlights of making these tasty bombs. This will be a short FAQ, as not a lot goes into making these delicious little orbs of chocolaty goodness.
Q: How much chocolate should I pour into the molds?
A: A healthy amount to start when you’re learning is good. Remember, you’ll simply pour out the excess, so don’t be afraid to really get that chocolate in there. A thicker bomb is better than one that will crack too easily.
Q: What brand/kind of chocolate and cocoa mix should I use?
A: You can use any brand that tastes good to you. Just remember that high-quality ingredients make for high-quality results, so don’t get the bargain basement stuff. It never tastes as good.
Q: How do I know when I’ve melted the edges enough to seal?
A: You only need a warm skillet to melt the edges of the bomb shells. Just put them on there for a second or two to melt them just enough to stick together. If the edges look soft, you’re probably good.
Q: How long will these caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs last?
A: These bombs will last for as long as the expiration date on the ingredients. That’s usually between 6 and 12 months. BUT remember that they’re at peak flavor in the first 2 months.
Try These Caramel Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
Give these caramel chocolate hot cocoa bombs a try, and we’re sure you’ll be delighted with the results. The caramel from the ROLO’S candy adds a nice depth of flavor to the hot cocoa when it mixes with the hot milk that you and your family are going to love!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs with ROLO’S
- 16 Ounces of Melting Chocolate – Chips or bars
- 2 packets of Hot Cocoa Mix – about 1 heaping teaspoon in each Cocoa bomb
- 1 cup of Mini Marshmallows – about 5 to each Cocoa Bomb
- One package of ROLO'S Chocolate candies – 20 – 25 ounce package
- 6 cups of Hot Milk
- 1 set of Silicone Molds
- Melted Chocolate to drizzle on top
- Place the Chocolate in a Microwave safe bowl, and melt until smooth and creamy.
- Stir well, and spoon or ladle into the molds, making sure to coat the inside of the molds.
- Pour excess chocolate back into the bowl, and place the molds in the refrigerator, and let harden for 15 minutes.
- Remove molds from refrigerator, and carefully remove chocolate from molds, placing 6 half balls in a row on a cookie sheet.
- These will be the bottom parts, or half of the Cocoa bombs.
- Heat a non stick Skillet, on low, and place one half ball with the open side down, melting just the edges for a few seconds, remove, place on a cookie sheet, and fill the Ball with the powdered Cocoa, a ROLO candy, and mini Marshmallows.
- Repeat, until all 6 Balls are done. Place the other half of the Chocolate balls in the skillet, with the open side down, and melt just the edges of the ball.
- Remove from the Skillet, and immediately place on one of the chocolate balls, filled with the cocoa, etc., making the top of the ball/bomb.
- Hold in place a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom are melted together. run your finger around the two edges to seal the two balls together.
- When all the Cocoa Bombs have been filled, and melted together, place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate is completely set.
- Remove from the Refrigerator, and sit the cookie sheet on the counter.
- Place the Chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave at 15 second intervals until the chocolate melts
- Place the melted chocolate in a Pastry bag, and pipe the Chocolate over the Cocoa Bombs (see photo) and sprinkle with Crushed ROLO'S, placing a large piece on top.
- Place one Hot Cocoa Bomb in the bottom of a large mug, and pour heated milk over the top.
- Cocoa Bomb will melt and bubble, and marshmallows will float to the top. Stir the powdered cocoa, and Enjoy!