Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken is everything the name says. These crispy drumsticks are coated in a delicious sour cream and onion dredge and then baked to golden, crispy perfection in the oven.
We love making this recipe because it has all the great textures we love about fried chicken without all the spatter and mess. It’s also incredibly easy to make which is a huge bonus. It’s the perfect chicken recipe for lunch or dinner.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe has a lot going for it. It’s easy to make. It has a delicious crispy coating with no frying. It features a complex flavor profile without a lot of complex ingredients. It’s pretty much perfect, in our opinion.
- This is an easy recipe to make that only takes a few minutes and a few ingredients.
- There’s no messy clean-up because it’s oven-fried.
- It’s the perfect main dish for lunches or dinners.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Chicken drumsticks
- Condensed cream of onion soup
- Sour cream and onion crackers or chips
- Melted butter
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
Making this recipe is incredibly simple. With just a few simple steps and a few minutes, you’ll be on your way to crispy, delicious chicken drumsticks.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then, coat a 9×13 dish in meted butter. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Dredging Station
Whisk the soup and milk together in a medium bowl. Then, add the flour to a plate. Finally, crush the crackers or chips into fine crumbs and add them to another plate.
Step 3: Coat the Chicken
Coat the drumsticks, one at a time, in flour.
Then, roll them in the soup until coated. Finally, roll them in the crumbs until coated.
Step 4: Bake
Place the coated drumsticks in the prepared baking dish and cook for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes to the flour or crumb dredge for a spicy kick.
- Thighs or Leg Quarters – Try making this recipe with thighs or leg quarters.
- Buttermilk – For an extra flavorful coating, use buttermilk.
If you like easy chicken recipes, be sure to check out this simple 3-ingredient chicken recipe.
You’ll only need a few basic pieces of kitchen equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups
- Baking dish
You can store these drumsticks in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. For longer storage, you can freeze them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 6 months.
Although this recipe is incredibly easy, I have a couple of tips here to help you make these drumsticks as delicious and easy as they can possibly be.
- Easily crush your chips or crackers by placing them in a resealable bag and using a rolling pin to crush them. You can also use a food processor.
- Be careful not to overcook your drumsticks. In most cases, 40 minutes should be perfect for cooking them through without drying them out.
- Always use melted butter or nonstick cooking spray in your baking dish to prevent sticking.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Oven frying is a method of cooking that tries to replicate traditional frying without all the grease. A crumb coating similar to frying batter is applied to food which is then cooked in the oven at high temperature to create a golden crisp exterior that mimics traditional frying.
It’s very similar to traditional fried chicken. The coating is a bit different, and the coating is crunchy rather than crispy. However, it still retains that golden color, crisp-like texture, and juicy meat.
They’ll last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and open-air freeze them for a couple of hours. Then, place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 6 months.
🍽 More Chicken Recipes
Do you enjoy chicken? Then, try these delicious recipes:
🧾Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
- Measuring cups
- Baking dish
- 4 pounds drumsticks
- 10 ½ ounce can condensed cream of onion soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- 8 ounce package sour cream and onion crackers or chips we use Ritz toasted chips
- ½ cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish, by coating in melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soup and milk.
- Add flour to a plate.
- Crush crackers or chips until fine crumbs, and add to another plate.
- Dip drumsticks, one at a time, into flour.
- Once coated in flour, roll in soup until covered.
- Roll in crumbs until coated, then place in a baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.