This Nacho Cheese Ball takes the classic party appetizer and kicks it way, way up with the addition of taco seasoning and crushed Doritos. It’s a zippy take on an old favorite.
If you love cheese balls, then get ready to take your tastebuds to the happiest of happy places. This is a cheese ball that really stands out! Over the years, we’ve made all kinds of cheese balls for all kinds of occasions, but the one that always impresses the most is this one.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of ingredients.
- It’s super easy to make.
- It takes the classic cheese ball and combines it with zesty Doritos and taco seasoning.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients, and you’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store. We’re listing the ones here that really make this recipe pop, but you’ll find all the ingredients in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onion
- Taco cheese blend
- Taco seasoning
- Nacho Cheese Doritos
🔪 How to Make This Nacho Cheese Ball
Making this recipe couldn’t be easier. Just like the ingredient list, there are only a handful of steps. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time flat.
Step 1: Make the Cheese Ball Mixture
Stir the cream cheese and sour cream until well combined. Then, add the shredded cheese, taco seasoning, and green onion and stir to combine.
Step 2: Form the Cheese Ball
Grease your hands with nonstick cooking spray and mold the mixture into a ball. Then, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Step 3: Coat and Serve
When ready to serve the cheese ball, place Doritos in a resealable bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Then, add the cheese ball to the bag and roll it around to thoroughly coat it in the crushed Doritos. Place the cheese ball on a plate, garnish with green onions, and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Any Doritos – Change the flavor of this cheeseball by using Cool Ranch, Hot, or any of your favorite Doritos flavors.
- Spicy – Add diced jalapenos to the cheese ball mixture for a kick of heat and flavor.
- BBQ Cheese ball – Use crushed BBQ Fritos to make a BBQ cheese ball variation.
If you like zest cheese balls that have a little something extra, then we think you’ll love this cheddar bacon ranch cheese ball.
You’ll only need a few simple pieces of kitchen equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cup and spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Cling wrap
Store your cheese ball in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to a month in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Be sure your cream cheese is fully softened, so you get a fully-mixed cheese ball with no bits of plain cream cheese.
- Always spray your hands with non-stick spray or the cheese ball will be a cheese mess all over your hands.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
No one knows exactly, but according to legend, the first cheese ball was made in 1801 by Elisha Brown, Jr. and was given to President Thomas Jefferson at the White House.
The base of all cheese balls is the same. They’re made with cream cheese, grated cheese, sour cream, and spices for flavoring.
Like other cream cheese-based foods, after a month, ice crystals begin to form in the mix and change the texture and flavor of the cheese ball.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy appetizers? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Nacho Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded taco blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ cup green onion finely chopped
- 1 cup crushed nacho cheese Doritos
- Additional green onion for garnish optional
- Stir together the cream cheese and sour cream until well combined.
- Add the shredded cheese, taco seasoning, and green onion. Stir to combine.
- Grease your hands with nonstick cooking spray and mold the cheese mixture into a ball.
- Tightly wrap the ball in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, place the Doritos in a large bag and use a rolling pin to crush the chips
- Open the bag and place the cheese ball inside, rolling it around to cover the ball in crushed Doritos.
- Transfer the ball to a serving platter and garnish with green onion before serving.
Leave a Reply