This Pumpkin Crazy Cake is unlike any other cake you’ve ever tried. The homemade pumpkin spice cake is moist and flavorful and is budget-friendly to make. You can’t go wrong!
Crazy cakes are a popular trend in the baking world, and for good reason. They’re quick, easy, and delicious!
This pumpkin-crazy cake is no exception. The best part? No fancy ingredients are required.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This pumpkin cake is budget-friendly and uses basic pantry ingredients.
- It’s perfect for fall but can be enjoyed year-round.
- The homemade pumpkin spice flavor is unbeatable.
- Crazy cakes are quick to make with minimal clean-up.
You only need simple ingredients to help you make this delicious recipe. This is a quick overview of the ingredients that you will need so you can pick them up on your next trip to the grocery store.
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking soda
- baking powder
- pumpkin pie spice
- pumpkin puree
- vegetable oil
- white vinegar
- vanilla extract
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make This Pumpkin Crazy Cake
Making this cake is so simple. Just follow these step-by-step directions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, and you will have a delicious cake that your friends and family will love in no time at all.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare your baking dish
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients and make wells
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a spoon to form wells in different areas around the surface of the dry ingredient mixture; two large wells and two small. This is meant to keep the wet ingredients separate until the water is added.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients
Scoop the pumpkin into one of the large wells. Pour the vegetable oil into the other large well, then the vinegar and vanilla separately into the two small wells. Add the water to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Step 4: Bake the cake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the cake at 350F for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Frost the cake
Cool the cake completely to room temperature then top with the frosting of your choice.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Frosting: Feel free to use any type of frosting on this cake, I like to use cream cheese, but vanilla frosting or even cinnamon frosting works just as well.
- Powdered Sugar: Not a fan of frosting? Leave the frosting off the top and just top this cake with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
- Nuts: Consider adding chopped nuts on top for an added crunch.
If you love easy and budget-friendly recipes like this one then you may also enjoy these Pumpkin Crescent Rolls.
This is a quick overview of the kitchen tools that you will need to make this simple recipe gather these tools and get ready to dive into this pumpkin dessert recipe:
- 8×8-inch baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Here are a few tips that you can use to ensure that this homemade pumpkin cake turns out perfectly for you every time that you make it.
- Use room temperature ingredients for the best results.
- Make sure to let the cake cool completely before frosting to avoid melting the frosting.
- Before measuring out your pumpkin puree, give it a good stir as sometimes it can separate in the can.
Do you have questions about this Pumpkin Crazy Cake recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Crazy cakes, also known as wacky cakes or depression cakes, were originally created during the Great Depression when ingredients like eggs and butter were scarce.
Yes, these terms are often used interchangeably to describe a cake that doesn’t use eggs or butter.
Yes, this cake has a similar taste and texture to a traditional cake. The pumpkin puree adds moisture and gives it a delicious pumpkin flavor.
🍽 More Fall Recipes
Do you enjoy fall recipes? If so, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Pumpkin Crazy Cake
- 8×8-inch baking pan
- large mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Use a spoon to form wells in different areas around the surface of the dry ingredient mixture; two large wells and two small. This is meant to keep the wet ingredients separate until the water is added.
- Scoop the pumpkin into one of the large wells. Pour the vegetable oil into the other large well, then the vinegar and vanilla separately into the two small wells.
- Add the water to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the cake at 350F for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely to room temperature then top with the frosting of your choice.