Sausage Spinach and Pasta Soup– this is a favorite soup in my family. It has been around forever in one form or another.
Sausage, Spinach and Pasta Soup was one of those soups that was made every since I can remember. When you live in an Italian household you use a lot of sausage and you find a lot of uses for it.
First you start out by sauteing 1 pound Italian sausage ( I use 1/2 lb sweet and 1/2 lb hot. Then I add 3/4 cup chopped onion and 3 large garlic minced cloves. Then I add the spices.
Once that cooks for about 1o minutes you add in the baby spinach, stir to blend into sausage mixture then add chicken stock and tomato paste.
Add penne pasta to soup and cook until desired tenderness.
I use this penne pasta in this batch of soup. I like it because it’s smaller than regular penne pasta. Normally I use a smaller pasta in soup and this one fit the bill.
Once everything comes together, the soup gets poured into oven proof bowls smothered with Swiss cheese and baked for 5 minutes and broiled for another 1-2 minutes. Then you dig in!!
Yummy! Make this delicious soup now!
Sausage, Spinach and Pasta Soup
Sausage, Spinach and Pasta Soup- this is a favorite soup in my family. It has been around forever in one form or another.
- 1 lb Italian sausage I use hlaf sweet and hald hot
- 3/4 cup yellow onion chopped fine
- 3 large garlic cloves minced fine
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 7 cups low sodium chicken stock I prefer this to chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup uncooked pasta of your choice
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan. I use half hot, half sweet as we like things a bit spicy around here. Add onion and cook until just soft then add garlic. cook an addition 30 seconds or so being careful not to burn garlic. Add the dried basil and Italian seasonings.Add the spinach, stir it around for about 3 minutes then add the chicken stock and tomato paste. Bring to a low boil. Add pasta of your choice to soup and cook pasta until desired tenderness is reached. I like my pasta al dente . so normally 9 minutes is good for me.Preheat oven to 400degreesDivide soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Top with 1 1/2 slices of Swiss cheese on each bowl. Bake on a cookie sheet for about 6-7 minutes then broil for 2 minutes or so until cheese is bubbly
You can use a mix of cheese for this recipe. I have uses a mixed Italian blend and it is just as delicious. I seriously haven't met a cheese I haven't liked.
Leave a Reply