These Baked Pumpkin Donuts are so rich and delicious. They’re filled with pumpkin and classic pumpkin spices and topped with a sweet glaze and crunchy crushed walnuts!
If you love pumpkin as much as we do, then do we have a treat for you! These delicious donuts are the perfect way to ring in the fall with tons of pumpkin flavor in a dish that everyone loves – donuts!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a delicious donut recipe filled with delicious pumpkin flavor.
- It’s an easy recipe that even beginners can make.
- These donuts are baked, not fried, so you avoid extra fat and a ton of cleanup.
- They have a sweet icing that’s easy to make and the extra crunch and flavor of walnuts.
- The perfect fall treat to enjoy first thing in the morning on a cool day.
All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store. Gather these ingredients and get ready to enjoy this sweet treat with a cup of coffee in the morning.
For the Donuts
- All-purpose flour – You need plain all purpose flour to make these homemade pumpkin spice donuts.
- Eggs – should be at room temperature.
- Canned pumpkin – Make sure to use pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
For the Glaze and Topping
- Icing sugar – if you can’t find icing sugar you can also use confectioners sugar
- Whole milk – Whole milk really works best in this recipe but you can use other types of milk also.
- Crushed walnuts – make sure that your walnuts are chipped into pieces.
See the recipe card below for quantities and the full ingredients list for this recipe.
🔪 How to Make Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Making these donuts is a breeze. It only takes a few minutes and a few easy steps!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, spray a standard donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Stir the flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
In another bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, and powdered sugar together until well incorporated. Then, add the pumpkin and mix again.
Step 4: Combine the Ingredients
Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Step 5: Bake
Fill the donut pan and bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Then, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the donuts from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until completely cool.
Step 6: Make the Glaze
Whisk the icing sugar and milk together in a large bowl.
Step 7: Top the Donuts
Diop the top of each donut in the bowl of glaze and set them onto a surface lined with wax paper. Then, sprinkle them with crushed walnuts and allow the glaze to set. Serve and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this baked pumpkin donuts recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Walnuts: Try using crushed almonds or pecans in place of walnuts.
- Nut-Free: For those who have nut allergies, simply omit the nuts from the recipe.
- Plain: For a less sweet version, try these donuts plain.
If you’re looking for more fall flavor, check out these baked apple cinnamon donuts!
You’ll only need a few basic pieces of baking equipment to make these delicious donuts.
- Donut pan – this is easy to order online or at your local big box store.
- Wax paper – Or parchment paper if you need it.
- Nonstick spray – I recommend using the baking spray.
Store these donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. The glaze is made with milk, so refrigeration is a must.
These donuts are incredibly simple to make, but we have a couple of tips here that are worth looking at. They’ll help you make the best donuts possible.
- Be sure your eggs are at room temperature to achieve the best rise and texture in your donuts.
- Make sure you buy canned pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- The donuts MUST be at room temperature before applying the glaze otherwise the glaze won’t stick.
Do you have questions about this homemade donuts recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Room temperature eggs blend more evenly, creating a smoother batter. They also allow the donuts to rise more easily and create a better texture.
The glaze is made with milk. Of course, the glaze isn’t baked, so refrigeration is a must for safety and flavor.
They should be moist and crumbly as well as dense like a muffin.
🍽 More Pumpkin Recipes
Do you enjoy pumpkin? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Donut pan
- Large bowls
- medium bowl
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 5 tsp whole milk
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan (approximately 12.5 x 8 in, with each cavity being about 3.25 inches in diameter – for a standard donut) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, and powdered sugar. Mix until well-incorporated. Add pumpkin puree and mix some more.
- Slowly fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Fill each section of the donut pan and bake for 14-16 minutes. You may have to work in batches depending on how many donuts your pans can hold at once.
- Once the donuts have baked, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove donuts from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack, approximately 15-20 minutes. You will want the donuts to be completely cooled before glazing them.
- To make the glaze:
- In a large bowl, whisk together icing sugar and milk.
- Dip the top of each donut into the bowl of glaze and set back onto a surface lined with wax paper.
- Sprinkle with crushed nuts and allow to set. Serve and enjoy!