This Caramel Apple Icebox Cake is one of our fall favorites! Layers of butterscotch pudding, whipped topping and graham crackers make up this no-bake dessert.
Fall is here, and that means that pumpkins and apples are plentiful. We love pumpkin recipes around here, but we love apple recipes in the fall just as much. And, this is one of our favorites!
Table of contents
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🔪 How to Make Caramel Apple Icebox Cake
- 🥄 Equipment
- 🥫 Storage
- 💭 Tips
- ⁉️ FAQ
- 🍽 More Apple Recipes
- 📌 PIN IT!!
- 🧾Recipe Card
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You only need basic ingredients so you can keep your grocery budget in check.
- You don’t have to turn on the oven in case it’s still warm outside!
- The recipe is easy and doesn’t take a lot of effort at all to make.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this no-bake fall dessert recipe. Gather these ingredients at your next grocery store and you will have an apple dessert that will wow your friends and family in no time at all.
- instant butterscotch pudding
- cold milk
- whipped topping
- apple pie filling
- cinnamon graham crackers
- caramel sauce
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Caramel Apple Icebox Cake
Making this apple icebox cake is so simple. Just follow the step-by-step directions here, or in the recipe card at the bottom of this post for a delicious no-bake fall dessert that your family will love.
Step 1: Prepare your baking dish
Line a 9×13 baking dish with plastic wrap with plenty of overhang.
Step 2: Make the pudding and chop the apples
In a large mixing bowl combine the instant pudding with the cold milk. Whisk until combined. Chop up the apple pie filling into smaller pieces.
Step 3: Finish the pudding layer
Mix the apple pie filling into the pudding mix. And, then fold one container of whipped topping into the pudding mix. And, spoon a little of the filling into the bottom of the pan and spread out.
Step 4: Start the layers
Place down a layer of graham crackers in the pan, you may need to break a few to cover the bottom. And, then spoon a third of the pudding mixture on the layer of graham crackers and spread it out.
Step 5: Finish the layers
Repeat with a layer of graham crackers, another third of the filling, another layer of graham crackers, and the remaining filling. Then top with whipped topping.
Step 6: Chill or freezer
Cover and freeze or refrigerate overnight. If you choose to freeze it, let it thaw 1 hour before serving.
Step 7: Garnish and serve
Before serving drizzle with caramel. Slice and Serve!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Cherry Apple: Add a layer of cherry pie filling between the graham cracker and pudding layers for an extra burst of flavor.
- Spices: A sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on the top would be wonderful, too!
- Nuts: For a little crunch, add some chopped pecans or walnuts to the layers.
If you love apple and caramel flavors together you may also enjoy this Apple Cake with Caramel Icing.
Here is a quick list of the tools that you will need to make this icebox cake recipe.
- 9×13 casserole dish
- mixing bowls
- hand mixer
- plastic wrap
Store this icebox cake in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you choose to freeze it, it will keep for up to two months in the freezer.
Here are a few tips to help you make this creamy icebox cake recipe.
- Make sure that your pudding mixture is well combined before adding the apples and whipped topping.
- Chop your apples into small pieces so they are evenly distributed throughout the dessert.
- Make sure that your whipped topping is completely smooth so that it spreads easily.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
An icebox cake is a type of no-bake dessert that was popular in the early 20th century. The name comes from the fact that it needs to be chilled or frozen, making an old fashioned icebox an ideal place to store these desserts.
Yes, this Caramel Apple Icebox Cake should be served cold or at room temperature.
Yes, you will need the same amount of homemade pie filling as you do canned.
🍽 More Apple Recipes
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Caramel Apple Icebox Cake
- 9×13 baking dish
- plastic wrap
- large bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 6.8 ounces instant butterscotch pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 16 ounces whipped topping
- 1 ½ cups apple pie filling
- 14.4 ounces cinnamon graham crackers
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with plastic wrap with plenty of overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the instant pudding with the cold milk.
- Whisk until combined.
- Chop up the apple pie filling into smaller pieces.
- Mix the apple pie filling into the pudding mix.
- Fold one container of whipped topping into the pudding mix.
- Spoon a little of the filling into the bottom of the pan and spread out.
- Place down a layer of graham crackers in the pan, you may need to break a few to cover the bottom.
- Spoon a third of the pudding mixture on the layer of graham crackers and spread out.
- Repeat with a layer of graham crackers, another third of the filling, another layer of graham crackers and the remaining filling.
- Then top with whipped topping.
- Cover and freeze or refrigerate overnight.
- If you choose to freeze it, let it thaw 1 hour before serving.
- Before serving drizzle with caramel.