Creamy Reuben Soup
Creamy Reuben Soup is a hearty and comforting soup with all of the flavors of a reuben sandwich but served soup style. Topped with dark rye croutons and shredded swiss cheese, so incredible!
There is something about the flavor of a Reuben sandwich that I have always loved. All the succulent meat, sauerkraut, the buttered grilled rye bread. And of course the fact that we only used to get these sandwiches when we went out for lunch when we we were younger. There used to be a restaurant named Friendly’s and I would either get a Reuben or a patty melt.
These days soups are one of our favorite dinners. Whether it’s made in the slow cooker or stove top there is always a soup cooking up in our house at least once a week. We love soup all year long. We love every kind of soup there is. Chowders and stews and copycat soups but our favorite is clam chowder and lobster stew.
Back to this Creamy Reuben Soup. I love the ease of this soup. I mean who doesn’t love easy right? And then to get one of your favorite sandwiches in a bowl, it’s like a win win!
You can easily make this soup with leftover corned beef or get some from your local deli. You can make this soup any time of year. We do cook corned beef all year long in the slow cooker because we really love it but sometimes when grocery shopping I’ll just pick up some sliced corned beef and make this quick soup for dinner.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY REUBEN SOUP:
Using a dutch oven or a soup pot add the butter and melt it on medium-high heat.
Add the onions, cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes)
Add in the garlic, cooking for about 1 minute (or until fragrant).
Increase temp to bring to a boil.
Add the flour, stirring often.
Pour in the chicken broth.
Stir in the corned beef and sauerkraut.
Once it has boiled begin to reduce heat to a simmer.
Cover/ shimmer for 15 minutes.
Add the sour cream, chives and 1/2 of the shredded Swiss cheese. (1/2 of the 1 cup of cheese.)
Cook for another 2-3 minutes for the cheese to melt.
Garnish with more Swiss cheese.
Garnish with rye bread croutons.
OTHER SOUPS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Creamy Reuben Soup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion (2 cups)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 -1 ½ lb corn beef slices (chopped)
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz. sauerkraut (drained well)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp chives, cut
- 1 cup swiss cheese (shredded/divided)
- 1. Using a dutch oven or a soup pot add the butter and melt it on medium-high heat.2. Add the onions, cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes) Stir frequently.3. Add in the garlic, cooking for about 1 minute (or until fragrant). Stir often.4. Increase temp to bring to a boil.5. Add the flour, stirring often. Pour in the chicken broth.6. Stir in the corned beef and sauerkraut.7. Once it has boiled begin to reduce heat to a simmer.8. Cover/ shimmer for 15 minutes.9. Add the sour cream, chives and 1/2 of the shredded Swiss cheese. (1/2 of the 1 cup of cheese.) Stir well.10. Cook for another 2-3 minutes for the cheese to melt.11. Garnish with more Swiss cheese. Garnish with a rye bread croutons.