Double Crumb Cake is double delicious because it’s simple and easy. Boxed cake mix is combined with a simple, homemade crumb topping to create a cake that is moist and tender with a crisp, sweet topping.
The only thing better than delicious cake is delicious cake that’s easy, and that’s what you get with this one! And if you love cake but you’re not a fan of frosting, then you’re in for a treat because this cake makes its crumble layer the star of the show.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s ridiculously easy to make.
- It’s absolutely delicious, and everyone always loves it.
You’ll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you probably have them all in your kitchen right now! The major ingredients are listed here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for the full list and exact amounts.
- Yellow cake mix
- Vanilla extract
- Salted butter, softened
🔪 How to Make Double Crumb Cake
Making this recipe is as easy as raiding your pantry. It takes around an hour to make, but 40 minutes of that is just baking!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Then, line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and spray it lightly with nonstick spray.
Step 2: Bake the Cake
Prepare the cake according to the box directions, adding vanilla. Then, pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Make the Crumb Topping
While the cake is baking, combine the softened butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon until combined.
Step 4: Bake Again
After 20 minutes, remove the cake from the oven and layer the crumb topping evenly over it. Then, continue baking for another 20 minutes.
Step 5: Cool
Place the cake on a wire rack and let it cool completely. Then, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Yellow Cake – You can use your favorite cake mix for this recipe. They all work!
- Nuts – Try adding chopped walnuts or pecans to your crumb mixture.
- Maple – Add a little maple extract to the cake for an extra layer of flavor.
If you like this cake, then check out our apple streusel coffee cake. It’s dee-lish.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- 9×13 pan
- Parchment paper
Store this cake for up to 3 days in an air-tight container at room temperature. You can refrigerate it for up to a week in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to a month in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Your butter should be fully softened but not melted.
- Bake your cake for 20 minutes before adding the topping so that the center of the cake doesn’t collapse.
- Baking times vary by pan size and whether they’re glass or metal. Be sure to consult the cake box for the correct baking time and temperature.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
It’s a sweet, crumbly topping made with flour, sugar, and butter.
Both crumble and streusel toppings have the same base of flour, sugar, and butter. However, streusel topping also has oats, and often, nuts.
A dry cake, especially one made from box mix, is usually the result of incorrect measuring resulting in too little liquid added to the mixture. When measuring your liquid ingredients, be sure to hold the cup at eye level so you get an accurate measurement.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy cake? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Double Crumb Cake
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- 9×13 pan
- parchment paper
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound salted butter softened
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake mix per box instructions and add vanilla extract. Then add to parchment paper lined pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- As it bakes, prepare the crumb topping. Use a standing or handheld mixer to combine the softened butter, all purpose flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Butter should be softened but not melted.
- Layer the topping evenly over the cake, breaking apart any overly large chunks with your hands. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Once finished, let cool completely on a rack before cutting.
- When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar and serve with milk or coffee. Enjoy!