This Easy Sausage Tortellini Soup is a hearty trip to Italy in every bite. Zesty, hot Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, carrots, onions, garlic, and kale are swimming in a rich, creamy tomato sauce to create a delicious soup your whole family will love.
We love Italian flavors so much. There’s a lovely interplay of flavors in most Italian dishes that you just can’t beat. We also love to play around with classic Italian dishes and flavors which is how we came up with this recipe. It combines classic tortellini soup with hot Italian sausage for an extra-zesty version.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of ingredients easily found at any grocery store.
- It’s an easy recipe that’s ready in just about 40 minutes.
- It’s a hearty dish that satisfies even the biggest eaters.
- Every bite is overflowing with delicious Italian flavors.
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this soup, and you’ll find them all either in your kitchen or in one quick trip to your local grocery store.
- Hot Italian sausage
- Onion – finely chopped
- Carrots – chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Chicken broth
- Crushed tomatoes
- Refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Heavy whipping cream
- Fresh kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
🔪 How to Make Easy Sausage Tortellini Soup
This is an easy soup recipe that anyone can make with ease. It only takes a few minutes of prep and about 30 minutes on the stove. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
Step 1: Brown the Sausage
Add the sausage to a large soup pot and saute it over medium-high heat for 7 minutes until browned. Remove the sausage and drain it on a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 2: Cook the Vegetables
In the same pot, saute the onions and carrots for about 4 minutes. Then, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Step 3: Add the Broth, Tomatoes, and Sausage
Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, and sausage to the pot with the vegetables and bring it to a boil over high heat.
Step 4: Finish the Soup
When the soup begins to boil, add the tortellini, kale, and heavy cream. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
- Use sweet Italian sausage for a mild version of this recipe.
- You can use any kind of stuffed tortellini you like for this recipe. Have fun experimenting!
- Use spinach in place of kale if you prefer.
If you love tortellini, then give our roasted red pepper tortellini a try!
- Measuring cups
- Cutting board
- Large soup pot
- Large spoon for stirring
Refrigerate this soup for up to 4 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. To reheat it, simply place it in a pot and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
With Italian sausage, cheese-stuffed tortellini, and vegetables, this soup is a full, hearty meal in and of itself. We recommend serving it with simple bread options like:
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
- Garlic knots
- Be sure your sausage is thoroughly drained to avoid a greasy soup.
- Reduce the soup to a simmer immediately after adding the cream to avoid curdling.
- You only need to simmer the soup for about 10 minutes to cook heat the tortellini through and soften the kale. Don’t overcook it!
- There’s no need to add oil when cooking the onions. The leftover fat from the sausage will add all the flavor you need and keep the veggies from sticking.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
This soup is mostly authentic. Traditional Italian tortellini soup is typically made without meat, as the protein source is usually inside the noodles. This is a slightly Americanized version.
It’s totally normal for tortellini to float on top of the liquid as it cooks. The air trapped inside the pasta causes this.
If you add too much tortellini to the soup, it can become gummy. Pasta needs lots of liquid to cook, and if you don’t give it enough, the natural starches in the pasta can’t dilute properly.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy Italian sausage? Then try these delicious recipes:
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Easy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- large soup pot or dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- 16 ounces Italian hot sausage
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 3 cups fresh kale optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add the sausage and sauté over medium-high heat until
- browned, approximately 7 minutes.
- Take out the sausage and allow it to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pot, sauté the onions and carrots for approximately 4 minutes,
- add in the garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- To the pot, add in the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, and sausage.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the pot to a boil.
- Once the pot has begun to boil, add in the tortellini, kale, and heavy cream,
- then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.