Funfetti Crazy Cake is a soft, tender, homemade cake loaded with rainbow sprinkles and topped with your favorite store bought frosting. It’s an easy, delicious recipe perfect for any occasion.
If you love cake, then get ready to find a new favorite. We love to make this delicious Funfetti crazy cake because it’s the easiest homemade cake ever. It’s tender, moist, and delicious, and it’s loaded with fun sprinkles.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a super easy homemade cake that anyone can make.
- It only uses a few simple baking ingredients.
- It’s tender and moist, and its colorful look is perfect for almost any occasion.
You’ll only need a little more than a handful of basic ingredients to make this cake. You’ll find everything you need in your kitchen or in one quick trip to the grocery store.
Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
- Vegetable oil
- White vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- Tap water
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Frosting of choice
🔪 How to Make Funfetti Crazy Cake
Making this cake is incredibly simple. We should state that although this is a crazy cake, we prefer to mix the ingredients in the traditional way. You can absolutely mix them all in the baking dish if you prefer.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Then, make a large well in the center of the mixture and 2 small wells next to it.
Step 3: Add the Wet Ingredients
Pour the vegetable oil into the large well. Then, add the vinegar to 1 of the smaller wells and the vanilla to the other smaller well. Add the water and stir everything until combined.
Step 4: Add Sprinkles
Fold in the sprinkles, being careful not to overmix.
Step 5: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 6: Cool and Frost
Cool the cake completely, then frost it with your favorite frosting. Add more sprinkles, slice, and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Mix in the Dish – Most crazy cakes are mixed directly in the baking dish. You can do that with this cake if you like.
- Sprinkles – Use your favorite sprinkles for this recipe. Any will work, and they can be switched out to make holiday-specific cakes.
- Frosting – Use your favorite brand and variety of prepared frosting. You can also make your own if you like.
If you think this crazy cake looks good, then check out our pumpkin crazy cake.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
Store this cake in an air-tight container for up to 3 days at room temperature. For longer storage, freeze the cake for up to 3 months in an air-tight container.
- Be certain you don’t mix the cake ingredients until everything is added.
- Stir the batter as little as possible when adding the sprinkles to prevent excess bleeding.
- To accurately measure wet ingredients, hold the measuring up in front of you with the marker at eye level. Looking at the cup at an angle results in improper measurements.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
A crazy cake is a cake made without dairy or eggs. It is also routinely mixed directly in the baking dish.
Crazy cake gained popularity in the 1930s when dairy, eggs, and milk were far too expensive for most families. These cakes were made without either of those ingredients, making it possible for housewives to make cakes even with the absence of dairy and eggs.
While the cake ingredients can be mixed in the baking dish, we find it easier to ensure the cake batter is fully mixed by doing it in a bowl.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy Funfetti? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Funfetti Crazy Cake
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking dish
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold tap water
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies, plus extra for decoration
- Frosting of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a large well in the center of the dry ingredients and two small wells next to the large (the large well needs to hold at least 5 tablespoons and each small well should told at least a teaspoon).
- Pour the vegetable oil into the large well, the vinegar into a small well, and the vanilla extract into the second small well. Note: it’s important to keep the wet ingredients separate until they’re stirred into the batter at the same time.
- Add the water and stir the batter just until all ingredients are combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles, but do not over-stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely to room temperature then frost with any frosting you like and add more sprinkles to the top.