This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is easy to make and can be made in just a few steps. Layers of ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge, caramel, and whipped topping turn into a decadent dessert that comes together quickly.
When it’s hot outside do you find yourself craving something sweet but not wanting to spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking? If so, this ice cream cake recipe is for you.
There is no need to turn on the oven and heat up the oven. And, you will have a tasty dessert in no time that is perfect for potlucks, birthday parties, and warm summer days.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy ice cream cake is a fun and delicious dessert that everyone will love.
- It’s made with layers of ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge, caramel, and whipped topping that comes together quickly for an icy sweet treat.
- Plus, it can be customized to fit any occasion or theme making it a great choice for birthday parties or potlucks.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this simple and easy ice cream cake recipe. No need to worry about spending hours in the kitchen to make this sweet treat because it comes together super quickly.
- ice cream sandwiches
- Cool Whip
- Hot fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Making this delicious ice cream sandwich cake is so simple. Just follow the directions below or in the recipe card below and you will have a delicious no bake cake that your whole family will love in no time at all.
Step 1: Start the first layer
In a 9×13-inch pan, place 12 of the ice cream sandwiches in a single layer. And, then scoop half of the Cool Whip onto the ice cream sandwich layer and spread out evenly.
Step 2: Add the chocolate and caramel
Drizzle hot fudge sauce (you may need to warm it just enough to be able to drizzle, but it should not be hot or it will melt the Cool Whip) and caramel sauce over the Cool Whip.
Step 3: Add the second layer
Add the remaining 12 ice cream sandwiches in a single layer, then drizzle on more hot fudge and caramel sauce. And then, scoop the rest of the Cool Whip on top of the cake and spread out evenly.
Step 4: Cover and chill the cake
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours until completely firm.
Step 5: Garnish and serve the cake
Drizzle more hot fudge and caramel sauce over top of the cake, then sprinkle with M&M’S. And, then cut the cake, and serve it frozen.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Candy: Add different kinds of candy to the top, like Reese’s Pieces, Butterfinger pieces, or Heath bar pieces.
- Brownies: Add a layer of brownie chunks in between the layers for an extra crunchy texture.
- Flavor: Use cookie dough ice cream sandwiches instead of plain ones for a chocolate chip cookie dough flavor.
- Peanut Butter: Drizzle with peanut butter for a delicious flavor combo.
If you love the flavor of ice cream next time give this Lemon Blueberry Ice Cream Bread recipe a try.
The best thing about this recipe is that you don’t have to worry about needing much equipment to make it. Gather these tools and get ready to dive into this refreshing treat. Here is what you need:
- 9×13-inch pan
- Cool Whip Spreader or spoon
- Plastic wrap
Once your ice cream sandwich cake has been frozen, it can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. However, you may find that the cake starts to get too hard if it is left in the freezer for longer than a week.
To make sure this recipe comes out perfectly every time, here are a few tips:
- Make sure to use a 9×13-inch pan for this recipe. Any bigger and the ice cream layer will be too thin.
- To warm up the sauces just enough so that they can be drizzled, heat them in the microwave for about 15 seconds at a time until they are pourable but not hot.
- For easy clean up you can line your baking dish with parchment paper if you prefer.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
The “bread” on an ice cream sandwich is usually chocolate wafer cookies
Yes! You can use any flavor of ice cream sandwich that you like for this recipe. We think chocolate or chocolate chip would taste great.
The holes are there to let out excess air while the cookies are baking. This helps them stay crisp and light.
🍽 More Ice Cream Recipes
Do you enjoy ice cream, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 9×13 baking dish
- 24 ice cream sandwiches unwrapped
- 16 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- Hot fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
- M&M’S for topping
- In a 9×13-inch pan, place 12 of the ice cream sandwiches in a single layer.
- Scoop half of the Cool Whip onto the ice cream sandwich layer and spread out evenly.
- Drizzle hot fudge sauce (you may need to warm it just enough to be able to drizzle, but it should not be hot or it will melt the Cool Whip) and caramel sauce over the Cool Whip.
- Add the remaining 12 ice cream sandwiches in a single layer, then drizzle on more hot fudge and caramel sauce.
- Scoop the rest of the Cool Whip on top of the cake and spread out evenly.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours until completely firm.
- Drizzle more hot fudge and caramel sauce over top of the cake, then sprinkle with M&M’S.
- Cut the cake and serve frozen.