Low Carb “Mac” and Cheese – Loaded with gooey cheesy goodness, this cheesy cauliflower casserole is the perfect low-carb and keto friendly macaroni and cheese substitute. Or just a great side dish for an occasion!
Cauliflower is a staple of my low carb life. And so is cheese. Mac and cheese is one of those classic recipes that takes you back to childhood but alas low carb and real macaroni do not mix so well. So we have to find a substitute and cauliflower is the closest thing we have.
It doesn’t taste just like macaroni but it does the trick with all the cheese and the yummy flavors.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is low carb, keto, creamy, cheesy and decadent! You don’t need the pasta! Even if you aren’t following low carb this is truly delicious and you will love it. All the non low carber gobble this side dish up. This reheats well for lunches and freezes well too.
Low Carb "Mac" and Cheese
Loaded with gooey cheesy goodness, this cheesy cauliflower casserole is the perfect low-carb and keto friendly macaroni and cheese substitute. Or just a great side dish for an occasion!
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into small florets
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and season with salt.
- Cook cauliflower in boiling water until tender crisp and drain well. I usually cook my cauliflower well ahead of time so the water has time to drain.
- Spray or butter an 8 x 8 ceramic or glass dish and set aside.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a saucepan and whisk in cream cheese and Dijon mustard until mixed well. Stir in one cup of Cheddar cheese and Gruyere, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Whisk until cheese melts and it is smooth. Remove from heat and pour over cauliflower and combine well.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake about 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Leave a Reply