This Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Alfredo takes rich, creamy chicken alfredo and gives it a bold twist with the addition of Cajun seasoning and smoked sausage. It’s made in the slow cooker, so it’s incredibly easy to make, as well!
Chicken alfredo is a classic dinner that we eat quite often. The original version of this classic is absolutely delicious, but sometimes it’s fun to switch things up. That’s why we added Cajun seasoning for a blast of flavor and a touch of heat.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s a super easy recipe that you make in the slow cooker.
- The Cajun seasoning and smoked sausage add a bold kick of flavor.
There’s nothing fancy about this recipe, and you’ll find everything you need to make it in just a few minutes at your local grocery store. Be sure the check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Smoked sausage
- Heavy cream
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Cajun seasoning
- Uncooked penne pasta
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Alfredo
Making this recipe is very straightforward and very easy. It’s almost completely done in the slow cooker. You’ll just sear the chicken a little before slow cooking it.
Step 1: Season and Sear the Chicken
Pat the chicken dry and season it with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and garlic powder. Then, sear the chicken on each side in a skillet on high heat with olive oil.
Step 2: Slow Cook
Add chicken, sausage, heavy cream, chicken broth, butter, garlic, Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to an 8-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours.
Step 3: Slice the Chicken
30 minutes before the alfredo is done, remove the chicken and let it cool. Then, slice the chicken.
Step 4: Cook the Pasta
After removing the chicken, add the pasta and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
Step 5: Finish the Alfredo
When the alfredo is finished cooking, top with parmesan cheese and sliced chicken. Enjoy!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes for even more heat.
- Traditional – Omit the Cajun seasoning.
- Penne pasta – Use any short pasta variety.
- Chicken – You can make this dish with pork chops, as well.
If you think this recipe looks good, then you’ll love our slow cooker parmesan garlic chicken pasta.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Slow cooker
- Cutting board
Refrigerate this chicken alfredo for up to 3 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Sear the chicken on high heat. You’re just getting some color on it, not cooking it through.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it so it remains tender and juicy.
- Be sure to pat the chicken dry so the seasonings stick when you add them.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Chicken alfredo is a variation of fettuccine alfredo made with chicken breasts in a creamy sauce with pasta.
No. Traditional fettuccine is made with butter and cheese. The cheese emulsifies as it melts to make the sauce. Creamy alfredo sauce is an Americanized version.
Searing chicken before slow cooking isn’t required. It just adds more color and more depth of flavor.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy chicken alfredo? Then try these delicious recipes:
- Rigatoni Chicken Alfredo
- Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- slow cooker
- large skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 pound smoked sausage sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 8 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- Pat chicken dry and season with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and garlic powder. In a large pan add the olive oil and sear the chicken on high heat.
- You just want to brown each side not cook entirely.
- Add chicken, sausage, heavy cream, chicken broth, butter, garlic, Cajun, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to an 8 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before it’s done take the chicken out and let cool then slice. Add in the uncooked penne pasta and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Once done add in the parmesan cheese and top with the sliced chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!