Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers take the classic Italian favorite and makes it even easier by using the slow cooker. Tender Italian sausage, veggies, and pasta sauce all served on sub rolls or hot dog buns? Yum!
Sausage and peppers is a classic sandwich option that both of us love. We both grew up on them, and as adults, we’ve continued making them. We love this version because the slow cooker makes it so easy and allows the flavors to meld so perfectly.
These Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers are so insanely good! I couldn’t get enough of them. I love slow cooker meals because that means i barely have to cook dinner, And this meal is perfect for that!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of ingredients.
- It’s full of classic Italian sausage and pepper flavors.
- It’s an easy slow cooker recipe that only takes a few minutes of prep.
- It’s delicious on your favorite buns or rolls.
You only need a few basic ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all in just about 10 minutes at your local grocery store. Everything you need is right here, but see the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Italian sausage
- Red pepper – sliced
- Green pepper – sliced
- Onion – sliced
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Pasta sauce
- Olive oil
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Buns or rolls
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
Making this recipe is super easy. Just brown the sausage, and then cook everything in the slow cooker. That’s all there is to it!
Step 1: Brown the Sausage
Sear the sausages for 2 to 3 minutes in a medium skillet on medium-high heat until browned on the outside.
Step 2: Add All Ingredients Except the Sliced Cheese
Lay the sausages in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, top with pepper, onions, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Spread the pasta sauce over everything and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
Step 3: Make the Sandwiches
Add a sausage, pepper, and onions to a bun and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
Step 4: Broil
Place the sandwiches on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil until the cheese is slightly melted. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add diced jalapeno for a kick of heat and flavor.
- Toasted Bun – Try adding a thin layer of butter to the inside of the buns and broiling them until toasted before filling.
- Pasta Sauce – Use your favorite brand and flavor of pasta sauce for this recipe.
If you think this easy recipe looks great, then we think you’ll love our sheet pan sausage, peppers, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Measuring spoons
- Medium skillet
- Slow cooker
- Sheet pan
Refrigerate the sausage and pepper mixture for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- If you’re in a rush, you can cook this recipe on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Watch your sandwiches closely when broiling them. They can burn easily.
- If possible, never store the sandwiches themselves. They’ll get soggy. Rather, store the filling in an air-tight container.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Sausage and peppers is an Italian-American dish made with a base of Italian sausage, peppers, and onions. It is sometimes served as-is or with added ingredients such as tomato sauce or pasta sauce, and often served on buns as a sandwich.
Strictly speaking, any roll will work. However, the rolls of choice tend to be hard, crusty, hoagie-style rolls or baguettes.
Unlike many recipes “Italian” recipes that we Americans love, sausage and peppers is actually an authentic Italian dish. It’s classic Italian street food.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy sausage? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
- slow cooker
- medium skillet
- baking sheet
- 18 ounces Italian sausages 5 sausages
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices of sliced mozzarella
- 1 pack of your favorite sub or hot dog buns
- Heat a medium sized skillet on medium- high heat, add oil. Sear the sausages 2-3 minutes on each side. (Just looking to brown each side not cook.)
- Lay the sausages in slow cooker and add your peppers and onions on top. Sprinkle the garlic salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper all over.
- Spread marinara sauce all over the top and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Or until peppers are soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Once done add sausage, peppers and onions to a bun and add one sliced mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place on a foiled lined sheet pan and broil until the cheese is slightly melted. Do not broil long.
- Serve and enjoy!!