Spicy Pumpkin Soup
This is the best spicy pumpkin soup! It is full of flavor and has just enough spice in it. We love it and make it all the time. Yes even in the summer months. It’s that good. But it’s a hearty and warming soup perfect for warming up on a cold day.
When I first said I wanted to make this recipe, it didn’t go over too goo. Everyone turned there nose up at pumpkin soup. Geez can’t people just give things a chance?! Well I was making it and that was it. This is hearty and warming soup perfect for warming up on a cold day. Or any day!!
I love pumpkin soup just as is. Nice and creamy and smooth but that wouldn’t go over well with anyone else in the family. But this isn’t that kind of pumpkin soup. Well the family was going to be in for a surprise.
This is one of my favorite soups. I have seen it made many different ways. I have taken a little bit of this that I have like and a little bit of that plus added my own thing like the Bells Seasoning and nutmeg to make it the way I thought my family would like it. And I think pumpkin and Bell’s seasoning and nutmeg go so well together. They remind me of Thanksgiving. I mean what can be more Thanksgiving and pumpkin flavor than that?! I also add hot sausage to spice it up some. We love spicy foods in my house and I try to add that spiciness where ever I can. You can use sweet sausage if you prefer or a mix of both would be fine too.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 1 1/2 lb.Italian sausage I use half hot and half regular
- 3/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 stalks celery, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. or more of Bells Seasoning to taste
- 16 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 4 cups chicken broth plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Brown sausage, (take it out of the casing if necessary) drain, then add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and celery and saute until just crisp and translucent.
- Add chicken broth, pumpkin, nutmeg and Bells Seasoning and mix well.
- Cook until veggies are at desired tenderness.
- Add heavy cream and let warm.
This sounds really good, and I’d like to try it. What is Bell’s Seasoning, and is there anything I can use as a substitute if I can’t find it in my area? Thanks.
Hi Martha Bell’s Seasonings is a blend of rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, and marjoram. You could try just mixing a bit of those together to get the flavor profile. I hope that helps 🙂
What type of sausage. Italian sausage links or the breakfast like jimmy dean
The sausage roll
Thank you can’t wait to try this.