If you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert that will WOW your guests, then look no further than this Blueberry Meringue. This recipe is so simple to follow, and the end result is just beautiful! Not to mention, blueberry meringue squares are perfect for those summer BBQs! So why not give it a try? Your taste buds won’t be disappointed.
Merging two desserts into one might seem like a strange idea, but it can actually be quite delicious. These blueberry meringue squares are the perfect example of how two separate dishes can come together to create something amazing. The sweet and tart blueberries are the perfect pairing for the fluffy meringue, these layers are delicious on top of a nice crust, and you’ll love how easy this recipe is to make.
Meringue is often seen as a daunting dessert to make. But with this recipe, you’ll be able to wow your guests with a show-stopping blueberry meringue that’s easy to make and delicious.
Blueberry Meringue Recipe
Meringue is always a hit with kids and adults alike. It’s sweet, fluffy, and goes great with a variety of toppings. In this recipe, we’ve added blueberries to give it a fun summer twist! Kids will love helping you make this dessert, and will be eager to eat it once it’s done.
There’s something about blueberries that just makes them so darn appealing. Sweet, tart, and juicy, these little berries always leave you wanting more. And when it comes to blueberry desserts, there’s arguably no better option than a classic meringue. fluffy and airy, with a sweet and tangy blueberry filling, this dessert is sure to impress!
So if you’re in the mood for something sweet and refreshing, give this blueberry meringue a try! You won’t be disappointed.
Blueberry Meringue Ingredients
You only need simple ingredients to make this simple blueberry bars recipe. You may already have most of the ingredients on hand, but if you don’t have these ingredients on hand already, you can head to your local grocery store and grab these items for a delicious dessert.
- Butter, softened
- Almond extract
- Blueberry pie filling
- Lemon juice
- Egg whites
- Powdered sugar
- Sliced or crushed almonds
**See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
Blueberry Meringue Instructions
Step 1: Grease the baking dish
Grease an 8×8 baking dish with butter
Step 2: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C).
Step 3: Cream together the butter and sugar
Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Step 4: Add almond extract and flour
Add almond extract and mix in. Add flour and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
Step 5: Press the crust into the baking dish
Press into the bottom of the baking dish.
Step 6: Bake the crust
Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
Step 7: Make the blueberry filling
While the crust is baking, make filling. Add blueberry pie mix into a small saucepan with lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then remove from heat.
Make meringue by whisking egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Step 9: Add sugar slowly
Continue whisking and add powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time until stiff, glossy peaks form.
Step 10: Adjust the oven temperature
Once the crust is cooked, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
Step 11: Layer the blueberry meringue squares
Pour pie filling mixture onto crust and spread evenly. Add meringue and spread on top of blueberry filling. Sprinkle almonds on top.
Step 12: Bake the blueberry bars
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Hint: Whip the egg whites until it forms soft peaks so that you have a firm but fluffy meringue.
Store the Blueberry Meringue Squares in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Here are some helpful tips to help you make sure that the Blueberry Meringue turns out perfectly.
- Make sure that you properly clean and dry your metal bowl and electric hand mixer before whisking the egg whites. The slightest bit of grease or residue from a previous ingredient can prevent it from whipping to soft peaks.
- To make meringue, start with room temperature egg whites, which are easier to whip than cold ones.
- Sift the icing sugar before adding it to the meringue. This step is crucial to making sure that you have a light and fluffy meringue. Sifting takes out lumps, so there are no hard chunks of icing sugar in your finished product.
- Use pure almond extract and not imitation to really bring out that rich almond flavor in your dessert.
- Want to make sure that your dessert is sweet enough? Add more sugar to the meringue.
- If you want it tangier, add more lemon juice!
More Blueberry Recipes
Do you love blueberry recipes? Here are some other recipes that you may enjoy.
- Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll
- Blueberry Muffin Cheesecake Pie
- Easy Blueberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Cake
Blueberry Meringue FAQ
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes! These bars can be stored in the fridge for up to five days. However, I recommend that you do not make them more than 24 hours in advance for the freshest taste.
Does this need to be refrigerated?
Blueberry Meringue Squares should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Can I freeze these bars?
Yes! These bars can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to six months.
Why You’ll Love This Blueberry Meringue
Meringue is one of those recipes that always sounds more complicated than it is. All you need are a few simple ingredients, and you can make this elegant dessert in no time. And the best part? It’s perfect for any occasion, from a summer picnic to a sophisticated dinner party. No matter what your event, these blueberry meringues will be sure to impress your guests!
MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced or crushed almonds
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C).
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add almond extract and mix in. Add flour and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Press into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- While the crust is baking, make filling. Add blueberry pie mix into a small saucepan with lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then remove from heat.
- Make meringue by whisking egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Continue whisking and add powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Once the crust is cooked, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Pour pie filling mixture onto crust and spread evenly. Add meringue and spread on top of blueberry filling. Sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.