Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting – Tender, soft perfectly spiced cupcakes topped off with a fluffy cream cheese frosting!
Made from scratch carrot cake muffins are so yummy. They are made with grated carrots so they have vegetables and are healthy right? So good for breakfast?! Well maybe not always but we do make these and leave the frosting off off some of them to make them more of a breakfast muffin. I don’t know it just sounds a bit healthier that way.
You can also add raisins and nuts to the muffins if you like. We usually make them plain. We love raisins and nuts but sometimes I joke that they get in the way of my food. And when we first made these carrot cake muffins we were no doubt adding the cream cheese frosting. We made them for Easter and there was plenty of family to gobble them up.
But they really do make a great grab and go breakfast muffin or snack. The consistency of this muffin is the perfect happy medium between fluffy and dense.
They are a simple muffin to make and they freeze really well too. You can store them in the freezer easily for up to 6 months. Just store them in an airtight container you can use a heavy duty freezer bag. I freeze them without being frosted and then frost them when I defrost them and am ready to use them but you can frost them and freeze them. Just be careful not to squish the frosting when you freeze the cupcakes.
I would also suggest to always line your muffins or cupcakes with 2 liners. It keeps the cupcakes/ muffins sturdy and makes them easier to frost. I swear sometimes the most simple recipes are the best and this cupcake recipe is just that. Simple, easy and always a go to cupcake recipe!
MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 medium/large carrots; grated
- 2 8 oz pkg. cream cheese
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 24 count muffin tin with double paper liners. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat oil, applesauce, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in carrots.
4. Divide batter evenly among 24 muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In a stand mixer add cream cheese and 1 tablespoon water. Place on low speed until cream cheese is smooth. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time with paddle attachment. Once the sugar is all added speed up mixer to medium. Once the cream cheese icing is thick and stands on it's own its ready.
If it doesn't stand on it's own add more sugar.
Place into a piping bag with star tip. Ice cupcakes. Keep refrigerated after icing.