Milk and Cookies Layer Cake
Milk and Cookies Layer Cake is a chocolate chip studded vanilla cake with cookie dough filling then all covered in a rich vanilla frosting. Memories of childhood in one big slice of cake!
Who doesn’t love milk and cookies?! Growing up when Mom and Dad would go grocery shopping I remember looking through the bags to see what kind of cereal and cookies they bought. We would never get more than 1 box of each but chocolate chip cookies were always our favorite.
Mom would make homemade chocolate chip cookies too but those store bought ones sure were special for some reason back then. Just some good childhood memories.
Anyways back to this drool worthy cake. The cake itself is actually not super sweet. It is a basic vanilla cake that gets most of it’s sweetness from the chocolate chips. Since the filling is not just your average run of the mill white frosting we think keeping the cake simpler is better.
This Milk and Cookies Layer Cake is filled with a chocolate chip frosting. It is so amazingly delicious! This cake has become a favorite!!
This cake is not very hard to decorate so don’t go thinking that it might be. It’s just vanilla frosting that you smooth out on the outside of the cake then you pipe dollops of frosting on top and place a chocolate cookie in the center of your dollop of frosting.
This cake was a huge hit from day one so now it’s always expected for birthday parties and get togethers. How can we say no?! Especially when we are looking forward to a piece ourselves. Shhh don’t tell anyone.
I think you will be doing the happy dance when you taste this cake. So will everyone around you. They will be smiling from ear to ear.
This cake is simple to assemble. After your cakes have cooled cut the domes off the cake slices. Place one cake slice onto a 12 inch round cake board. ( this makes it easier to frost) Scoop out 1 1/2 cup of the chocolate chip frosting onto the cake slice
Smooth evenly with a angled spatula Place the second cake slice onto the chocolate chip frosting. The rest is just as easy!
Make this Milk and Cookies Layer Cake for your family and friends!!
MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 9inch round cake pans
- 1 cake leveler
- 1 12 inch cake board
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 5-8 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 piping bag with a star tip
- hocolate chip cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350, spray cake pan with baking spray. Set aside
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. Using a standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time until combined after each egg. Beat in the vanilla extract
4. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour and mix until well combined
5. Divide the batter between the three pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
6. Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10 mins then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely
Chocolate Chip Frosting Directions
1. In a standing mixer, cream the brown sugar, powdered sugar and softened butter until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract
2. Gradually beat in the flour until combined. Slowly beat in the milk until the consistency is what you like. Fold in the chocolate chips
Vanilla Frosting Directions
1. Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined and smooth, about 5 minutes. Set aside
1. Using a cake leveler, cut the domes off the cake slices
2. Place one cake slice onto a 12 inch round cake board
3. Scoop out 1 1/2 cup of the chocolate chip frosting onto the cake slice and smooth evenly with a angled spatula
3. Place the second cake slice onto the chocolate chip frosting
4. Repeat steps with another 1 1/2 C chocolate chip frosting
5. Place the last cake slice onto the second layer of chocolate chip cookie dough
6. Scoop 2 C of vanilla frosting onto the top of the cake and smooth evenly with the angled spatula
7. Frost the sides of the cake.
8. Scoop remaining frosting into the piping bag. Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
9. Place a chocolate chip cookie into the frosting dollops