Chocolate Butterfinger Poke Cake is the ultimate sweet treat. Moist, tender cake is loaded with chocolate pudding, Butterfinger candy, and Cool whip for a sweet, chocolate and peanut butter cake everyone loves.
We love making all kinds of poke cakes. They’re delicious, and they’re fun, which is a great combination. We’ve made all kinds of poke cakes, from Jello to pudding varieties, and this Butterfinger version is one of our favorites.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a poke cake recipe that only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s loaded with chocolate and Butterfinger flavors.
- Poke cake is a classic dessert that everyone loves.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You’ll only need 4 simple ingredients to make this recipe. That’s it! See the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Betty Crocker cake mix
- Crushed Butterfinger candy
- Cool Whip
- Instant chocolate pudding
🔪 How to Make Chocolate Butterfinger Poke Cake
Like most poke cakes, this recipe is super easy. It doesn’t take much longer than making a regular cake straight from the box. Even beginners can make this one easily.
Step 1: Make the Cake
Mix and bake the cake according to the package directions. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes after it’s finished baking.
Step 2: Poke Holes in the Cake
Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through.
Step 3: Make the Pudding
Prepare the chocolate pudding according to the package directions, mixing until just before it begins to thicken.
Step 4: Add the Pudding to the Cake
Pour half of the pudding over the cake to fill all the holes. Mix the remaining half of the pudding until thickened, then spread it over the top of the cake.
Step 5: Finish the Cake
Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes, then spread an even layer of whipped topping over the cake. top with a generous amount of crushed Butterfinger candy and chill for 2 hours. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Cake – You can use vanilla, white, yellow, or chocolate cake for this recipe.
- Pudding – Try using chocolate or butterscotch pudding for this recipe.
- Baking Chips – Try folding chocolate and peanut butter baking chips into the cake batter before baking.
If you think this Butterfinger poke cake looks good, then you’ll love this Snickers poke cake.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
Store this cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a covered container. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to a month in an air-tight, freeze-safe container.
- Be sure you don’t poke too deeply into your cake. If you poke mostly or all the way through it, it will fall apart when you slice it.
- It’s important to fill the holes with the pudding before it begins to set so it can flow easily into the holes.
- The longer you chill this cake, the better it tastes.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
A poke cake is made by poking holes into a cake, then filling them with either pudding or gelatin and then topping it with whipped cream.
Poke cake was invented as a marketing ploy in the 70s to help Jello sell more gelatin.
If you poked your holes too deeply, the cake couldn’t hold together.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy Buttefinger? Then try these delicious recipes:
- Brownie Bottom Butterfinger Cheesecake Bars
- Butterfinger Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Bars
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Chocolate Butterfinger Poke Cake
- 9×9 baking pan
- mixing bowls
- 15.25 ounces Betty Crocker Cake Mix plus ingredients stated on box: eggs, butter, water, vanilla extract
- 1 cup Butterfinger candy crushed
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- 3 ounces chocolate instant pudding mix plus ingredients stated on box: 2 cups of cold milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the cake mix as directed on box with the eggs, butter, water, and vanilla extract. Mix until there are no more lumps.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake as directed on package, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once it is done baking, remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Then use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake. Make sure not to poke too deep as you don’t want the cake to fall apart when cutting.
- Now prepare the banana cream pudding as per directions on box with cold milk. Mix until just before it begins to thicken then pour half the mixture over the cake and fill the holes. (You don’t want to wait until it is too thick and can’t fill in the holes properly.)
- Mix the remaining pudding mixture until thickened. Then spread over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before adding the whipped topping.
- Remove from fridge then add the whipped topping and spread a layer evenly across.
- Then add a generous amount of crushed Butterfinger on top and place in fridge for another 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.