This Copycat Texas Roadhouse Chili is a hearty and flavorful dish that will bring the taste of your favorite restaurant right into your kitchen! Made with ground beef, and a secret blend of spices, this chili is perfect for game day or any chilly evening.
We think there is no better way to warm up on a cold winter day than with a steaming bowl of chili. And, this is one of our favorite recipes to make when we are craving something of restaurant-quality but don’t want to leave the house.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You only need simple ingredients so you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of money at the grocery store.
- It’s a great way to satisfy that restaurant craving without leaving the house.
- We think it tastes even better the next day, so that means that it’s great for meal prep.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this deliciously moist and rich chocolate cake. It’s perfect for any special occasion or just as a treat for yourself!
- diced yellow onion
- minced garlic
- ground beef
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- red pepper flakes
- crushed tomatoes
- brown sugar
- red kidney beans
- masa harina
- Additional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, crackers and or corn chips.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Copycat Texas Roadhouse Chil
Making this homemade chili is so simple. Just follow these step-by-step instructions and you will have a hearty and comforting meal that your whole family will enjoy in no time at all.
Step 1: Saute the onion and garlic, and cook the beef
After dicing the onion, add to the skillet with oil. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until tender and onions translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the beef and brown it.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients
After dicing 1 jalapeño, seedless or seeds in is optional, add them to the beef with the spices. Then add the tomatoes, sugar, beans, and vinegar then mix. Cover and lower the heat to medium-low for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Thicken the chili before serving
Remove the lid and stir in the masa harina. This will thicken the chili. Cover the chili and cook on low for 10 minutes. Let cool and serve topped with sliced jalapeños or with shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips, cornbread, and or crackers.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Want more spice in this recipe? Add more peppers, cayenne pepper, or crushed red peppers.
- Vegetables – Add some vegetables to your chili like corn, bell peppers or tomatoes.
- Beans – Not a fan of beans? Leave them out altogether.
Do you love chili but want to try something a little different? Next time give this Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe a try!
All you need to make this hearty chili is a large pot or saucepan and your favorite wooden spoon. You can’t get any easier than that.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. If you don’t have a lid to fit your pot switch this over to your favorite storage container or cover your pot tightly with plastic wrap.
Reheating – Reheat your leftovers on the stove top over medium heat until it’s warm and bubbling. Or reheat individual servings in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until warm all the way through.
Chili is such a delicious meal all on its own. However, we love to pair it with a homemade pan of cornbread or a nice crusty bread like this No Knead Dutch Oven Bread.
Here are a few tips that you can use to ensure that this recipe turns out perfectly for you when you make it.
- If you want to reduce the fat in this recipe feel free to swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or ground turkey instead.
- Want more tomatoes? You can add a can of diced tomatoes or even diced tomatoes with green chilies to this comfort food recipe.
- The masa flour will thicken the chili. If you prefer a thin chili feel free to leave it out.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Masa flour is a great thickener from chili because it’s made from maize which is a form of corn.
Texas chili does not typically include beans. But, we decided to add them because we love them.
Yes, chili freezes so well. Store it in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
🍽 More Chili Recipes
Do you enjoy chili? If so, give these recipes a try next time:
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Copycat Texas Roadhouse Chili
- large pot or saucepan
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 jalapeños fresh, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt course kosher
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon vinegar
- 15.5 ounces red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- Additional toppings: shredded cheese sour cream, crackers and or corn chips.
- After dicing the onion, add to the skillet with oil. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until tender and onions translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown it.
- After dicing 1 jalapeño, seedless or seeds in is optional, add them to the beef with the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, beans and vinegar then mix. Cover and lower the heat to medium low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the masa harina. This will thicken the chili. Cover the chili and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and serve topped with sliced jalapeños or with shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips, cornbread and or crackers.