This Slow Cooker Chili Mac is loaded with all the Tex-Mex flavors we all love. It’s beefy, cheesy, and every bite is an explosion of Southwestern flavors.
Chili mac is such a classic dish. It’s a great addition to potlucks or parties, and it makes a great lunch or dinner, especially in the fall. This is a recipe we love to break out every fall because it’s so delicious and SO easy.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only takes a few simple ingredients.
- It’s an easy slow cooker recipe that takes almost no effort.
- It’s a great dish for family dinners or parties.
Everything you need for this recipe can be found in just a couple of aisles at your local grocery store. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Everything you need is here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Ground beef
- Frozen peppers and onions
- Chili seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Canned diced green chiles
- Canned tomatoes with chiles
- Undrained canned red kidney beans
- Rinsed and drained canned black beans
- Tomato paste
- Water or beef broth
- Macaroni noodles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Chili Mac
This is a slow cooker recipe, so you already know it’s super easy to make. It only takes a few minutes, a few simple steps, and a little waiting!
Step 1: Cook the Beef
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat and drain it.
Step 2: Combine the Ingredients
Add the ground beef, onions, bell peppers, garlic, green chiles, tomatoes, tomato paste, red kidney beans, black beans, sugar, and beef broth. Sprinkle in the chili seasoning and stir.
Step 3: Cook
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
Step 4: Add the Macaroni
20 minutes before serving, add the macaroni noodles.
Step 5: Add the Cheese
5 minutes before serving, stir in half the cheese. Then, top with the remaining cheese, cover, and let the cheese melt. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Try adding diced jalapenos for a kick of heat and flavor.
- Ground Beef – You can use ground turkey, pork, or chorizo instead.
- Macaroni – You can use any short noodle variety in place of macaroni.
- Cheddar Cheese – Taco and Mexican blend cheeses work well in this recipe, too.
If you think this chili mac looks good, then we think you’ll enjoy our slow cooker chili.
- Measuring cup
- Can opener
- Slow cooker
Refrigerate this chili mac for up to 4 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
- There’s no need to cook the noodles before adding them to the slow cooker. The chili mix will cook them perfectly.
- Don’t forget about your noodles after you add them to the slow cooker. Check the chili mac after 20 minutes to test the noodles for doneness.
- Heat your chili mac in a saucepan over medium low heat to heat it through while avoiding cooking the noodles further.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Chili mac is an American dish made with cheese, chili, and macaroni noodles.
If you don’t drain the beans as directed, your chili mac will be watery.
It’s important to wait until about 20 minutes before serving the chili mac to add the noodles. Otherwise, they’ll turn to mush.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy chili? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Chili Mac
- slow cooker
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups frozen peppers and onions
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 10 ounces tomatoes with green chiles
- 15 ounces red kidney beans undrained
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 8 ounce macaroni noodles
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- Scallions for topping
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown and drain your ground beef.
- To your slow cooker add the ground beef, onion and bell peppers, garlic, green chilies, tomatoes, tomato paste, red kidney beans, black beans, sugar and beef broth.
- Sprinkle on your chili seasoning.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving add the elbow macaroni.
- 5 minutes before serving stir in half of the cheese.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and let the cheese melt.
- Top with your favorite toppings, serve!