This Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is a quick and easy Fall-inspired twist on the classic macaroni and cheese. It’s made with simple ingredients and the end result is an ultra creamy dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
If you love pumpkin and macaroni and cheese, this is the dish for you! The pumpkin adds a delicious sweetness to the classic dish that really takes it to the next level. Plus, it’s an easy way to get your kids to eat their vegetables! ,
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make and the whole family will love it.
- Perfectly creamy texture with delicious pumpkin flavor.
- It makes a vegetable-packed meal that is family-approved.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this delicious recipe. Pick up your these staples on your next trip to your local grocery store to enjoy this meal.
- pasta shells
- evaporated milk
- pumpkin purée
- dijon mustard
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Making this creamy pasta is so simple. Follow the steps below and you will have a delicious meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Cook the pasta in salted water
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add in the pasta. Cook and save 1 cup of pasta water.
Step 2: Prepare the cheese sauce
In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the evaporated milk and simmer. And then, Add in the pumpkin and mustard and stir. Add in the cheeses and stir till melted.
Step 3: Add the pasta to the sauce
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir. If it is too thick you can add some of the leftover pasta water, if it’s not thick you can throw it away.
Step 4: Adjust the seasonings before serving
Season with salt and pepper and serve and top with chopped scallions!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Protein: Add some protein: try adding cooked and crumbled sausage or bacon.
- Add some heat: Spicy kick: add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to give it a spicy kick.
- Additional Vegetables: Add some additional vegetables like spinach or roasted red peppers to the sauce.
- Switch up the cheese: Swap out the sharp cheddar for a different type of cheese like Pepper Jack or Gouda.
If you love delicious mac and cheese you may also enjoy this Bacon Jalapeno Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese recipe.
Here is a quick overview of the tools that you need to make this recipe.
- large pot or dutch oven
- large saucepan
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. These ingredients don’t stand up well to freezing, so I don’t recommend freezing it.
Here are some tips to help make this recipe perfect every time.
- Use quality cheeses for the best flavor.
- Cook the pasta until al dente so that it doesn’t get mushy when mixed with the sauce.
- Experiment with flavors and spices to customize this dish to your tastes.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Sharp Cheddar is the best cheese for this recipe. It has a nice sharp flavor and creamy texture that pairs perfectly with the pumpkin purée. You can also use Parmesan, Gruyere, or Gouda.
The best way to reheat mac and cheese is in the microwave. Place a single serving in a bowl and heat for 45 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. You can also reheat it on the stove top in a saucepan over medium-low heat, adding milk or cream as needed to get it back to its creamy consistency.
Evaporated milk helps to create a creamy, rich sauce without the need for heavy cream. It adds more flavor and richness than regular milk or cream.
🍽 More Pumpkin Recipes
Do you enjoy pumpkin recipes? If so, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- large pot or dutch oven
- large pan
- 1 pound pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 15 ounces pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped scallions
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add in the pasta. Cook and save 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the evaporated milk and and simmer.
- Add in the pumpkin and mustard and stir. Add in the cheeses and stir till melted.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir. If it it to thick you can add some of the leftover pasta water, if it’s not thick you can throw it away.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve and top with chopped scallions!