Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
Are you looking for a Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese recipe that is going to take your taste buds on a ride? You’re going to love the ease and flavor of this great recipe!
It’s no secret that we love our Slow Cooker. Not only does it do all the work for us, but it allows us to literally just add in the ingredients and walk away. What’s not to love about that?!
This gives us time to do some errands, get to work, do some cleaning or honestly, kick my feet up and relax a bit. And if I do happen to leave and come home while it’s cooking, the smells that greet me at the front door just can’t be topped!
If you’re looking for a truly simple and easy crockpot recipe, this is the one for you. Say goodbye to making your mac and cheese on the stove top and let your slow cooker do all the hard work.
Not that there is anything wrong with stove top macaroni and cheese. We love that also. But this is so easy and quick! You just throw it all in the slow cooker and let it do all throw work.
This Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese recipe is the ultimate mac & cheese recipe. It is super cheesy and creamy. And who doesn’t love that combination?
This recipe is my go to Macaroni and Cheese recipe when I don’t have oven space and I want a recipe I know everyone will love.
It’s easy to assemble and is a creamy, comfort food for weeknight dinners or potlucks. Just toss it in the crock pot and your good to go. Made entirely in the slow cooker, saves so much time.
What happens if I don’t grease the slow cooker before adding in the ingredients?
All that really means is that there is going to be a lot of cleaning for you to do afterward. It won’t change the taste at all but it could change the texture.
If the noodles are starting to stick, you’re going to really have to scrape and scrub to get them off. This could break the noodles and cause them to look less than pretty. I highly suggest you grease the slow cooker.
How to make slow cooker macaroni and cheese:
- Add salt to a large pot of boiling water and cook macaroni pasta for about six minutes.
- Strain and rinse to cool pasta. Grease the bowl of a slow cooker with cooking spray and combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, reserving 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine all ingredients and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours, stirring twice during the cook time. Sprinkle with reserved shredded sharp cheddar cheese and cover until cheese has melted before serving.
Can I use almond milk or skim milk in this recipe?
While I have actually never tried this, I did do a bit of research on this and found that many of the comments stated that the addition of almond milk wasn’t advised for this recipe.
If at all possible, stick to the listed ingredients as close as you can.
This way, you’ll ensure that you get the best tasting slow cooker macaroni and cheese possible. After all you want it ti be rich and creamy and super hearty!
What about the cheese used in this recipe?
I would suggest grating your own cheeses. I know it’s a pain in the you know what but it’s worth it.
It’s so much easier to open a bag of pre-shredded cheese and that cheese is ok for certain things.
But most pre-shredded cheeses are coated in cellulose, which keeps the cheese from clumping together in the bag. That coating prevents the cheese from melting down properly.
So you won’t get as gooey of a cheese sauce and it can leave your cheese sauce a bit on the gritty side. This recipe comes out best with cheese that you grate yourself believe me on this!
What toppings would you serve on this slow cooker macaroni and cheese?
Anything and everything! The first answer that came to mind was MORE cheese! But if you like a bit of spice, you can always add some fresh jalapenos and hot sauce as well.
Just make certain that you’re seasoning up your own bowl so that everyone can enjoy the taste and flavor as it was originally cooked.
There you have it! Some simple answers to questions before you start the recipe. Now that you know a bit more about this slow cooker recipe, let’s get down to the details of how to make this delicious Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese!
OTHER SLOW COOKER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb. macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1 tbsp. Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups cups milk
- 1 lb. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ( 8 oz.) package Velveeta cheese
- 1 ( 8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- Add salt to a large pot of boiling water and cook macaroni pasta for about 6 minutes.
- Strain and rinse to cool pasta.
- Grease the bowl of a slow cooker with cooking spray and combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, reserving 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine all ingredients and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, stirring twice during the cook time. Making sure noodles aren't over cooked!
- Sprinkle with reserved shredded sharp cheddar cheese and cover until cheese has melted before serving.