This Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta is pure comfort food. A rich and creamy sauce loaded with Italian sausage and mushrooms served over the pasta of your choice, total crowd pleaser!
Sometimes all you need is a few simple ingredients to make an easy yet sensational meal. So if you love mushrooms like I do this is a must make! You can use any pasta of course. And you can use half hot sausage and half sweet Italian sausage if you want a little kick.
We like it spicy so tend to use hot Italian sausage but you can mix hot and sweet together also if you want it just a bit spicy. Use your own judgement. There are some Italian sausages hotter than others too. I remember buying a store brand that was super hot once. Good thing I realized it as I was cooking it and I added a few sweet links also. That was all it needed.
This dish is easy to pull together after you come in the door from work and you just don’t feel like making a big fuss over dinner. It takes minimal prep and can be on the table in about 30 minutes. The sauce is light and creamy, with chunks of browned sausage and mushrooms , and finished with parsley and sharp parmesan.
I love mushrooms and sausage together. They just go so well together. I’m sure you will enjoy this dish. IT is our of my favorites.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound crumbled Italian sausage meat ( about 4 links, sweet ,hot or a mix of both )
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz sliced button mushrooms ( or baby bella’s )
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound pasta ( I used Rotini )
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute , stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned approximately 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until cooked through being careful to not burn garlic.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta to the pan and toss until well coated.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy .