These Easy Wet Burritos are full of tasty Tex-Mex flavors, not work. Seasoned beef, refried beans, chilis, and more are stuffed into flour tortillas and then smothered in a rich chili sauce.
If you love burritos, you’ve come to the right place. We’re big fans of burritos, and over the years, we’ve made a wide variety of them. One of our favorite ways to make them is wet, and you’re about to find out why.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s an easy dish that’s full of flavor.
- It only uses a couple of dishes, so cleanup is easy.
- It’s loaded with delicious Tex-Mex flavors.
- It makes a great dinner for the family.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store. We’re including the ingredients below that make this dish so flavorful. You can find the complete ingredient list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Ground beef
- Green chiles
- Refried beans
- Enchilada sauce
- No-bean chili
🔪 How to Make Easy Wet Burritos
This recipe only takes a few easy steps and a few minutes to make. A bit of browning, mixing, and baking are all that are required.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray two 13×9 casserole dishes with nonstick spray. Set them aside.
Step 2: Book the Beef
Cook the beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is fully cooked and the onions are tender. Drain the beef and return it to the pan.
Step 3: Make the Filling
Add the minced garlic, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, green chiles, and refried beans and stir to combine. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Step 4: Make the Chili Sauce
Combine the tomato sauce, chili, and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 5: Fill the Burritos
Divide the meat mixture evenly between the tortillas. Then, top with 1/3 cup lettuce and 1/3 cup cheese. Fold the tortillas into burritos and add them to the casserole pans.
Step 6: Bake
Pour the chili sauce evenly over the burritos, sprinkle with 3/4 cup shredded cheese, and bake for 20 minutes. Top with chopped green onions and your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – For a spicier version, add diced jalapenos to the meat mixture.
- Different Meats – You can use ground turkey or chicken in this recipe. Chorizo works well, too.
If you think this looks good, then check out our creamy burrito bake.
You’ll only need a few basic pieces of kitchenware to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Casserole pans
- Mixing bowl
We recommend eating these burritos as soon as they’re made. Due to their saucy nature, storing them only leads to soggy, gross tortillas. If you think you won’t eat all the burritos that this recipe will make, reserve part of the meat mixture and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then, bake the remaining burritos when you’re ready.
We have a few tips here to help you make this recipe the best that it can be. It’s a simple recipe, and so are these tips.
- Always drain your beef, even if using lean beef. You’d be surprised how much grease is still there!
- Seve these immediately to avoid soggy tortillas.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Wet burritos are a variety of burritos covered in a savory sauce and then baked in the oven.
While delicious, they are not authentic Mexican food. In fact, they were invented in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1966.
The filling and wrapping are the same. The difference is that the wet burrito is covered in red sauce and eaten with a knife and fork, while traditional burritos are eaten by hand.
🍽 More Recipes
If you like Mexican-inspired dishes, then you’ll want to check these out:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Easy Wet Burritos
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cutting board
- Casserole pans
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 ounces diced green chiles
- 16 ounces traditional refried beans
- 7 ounces tomato sauce
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces no-bean chili
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese plus 3/4 cup for topping
- sliced green onions for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F and spray two 13 x 9 inch casserole pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine ground beef and onion.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is fully cooked and onions are tender.
- Strain away any excess grease and add in minced garlic, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Add green chiles and refried beans and stir until combined. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce, chili, and enchilada sauce and whisk to combine.
- Let cook for 4-5 minutes, until heated through, and remove from heat.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the tortillas and top with 1/3 cup lettuce and 1/3 cup cheese on each tortilla. Fold the tortillas burrito-style and lay in the prepared casserole pans (3 in each). Pour the tomato sauce mixture evenly over the burritos.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with chopped green onions and any other desired toppings.