These Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Legs are made with a sweet and tangy homemade BBQ sauce and cooked to tender juicy perfection in the oven. They’re easy and delicious and make the perfect family meal.
We’re big fans of BBQ chicken. The flavorful sauce and tender chicken are a classic combo that never goes out of style. We especially love making BBQ chicken legs because the dark meat is extra tender, juicy, and flavorful.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s quick and easy.
- BBQ chicken is a classic dish that everyone loves.
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients, most of which are probably in your kitchen already. Anything you don’t have on hand is readily available at your local grocery store. The major ingredients are listed here, but you’ll find the complete list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Chicken legs
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Diced unsalted cold butter
🔪 How to Make Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Legs
Making this BBQ chicken is a breeze. In under an hour, you’ll have tender juicy BBQ chicken made with a homemade BBQ sauce.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
Step 2: Season the Chicken
Rinse the chicken legs and pat them dry. Then, place them in a baking dish and season with salt and black pepper.
Step 3: Make the BBQ Sauce
Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and paprika to a saucepan. Stir and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
Step 4: Coat the Chicken
Drizzle the BBQ sauce over the chicken legs and pour the remaining sauce into the baking dish. Then, top each leg with a piece of cold butter.
Step 5: Bake
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes to brown the legs. Serve hot with the remaining BBQ sauce.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- BBQ Sauce – Use your favorite homemade BBQ sauce recipe or use your favorite storebought brand.
- Other Cuts of Chicken – You can make this recipe with thighs, breasts, or even wings.
If you like this sweet and tangy chicken recipe, then check out our air fryer hot honey chicken.
- Measuring spoons
- Baking dish
- Wooden spoon or whisk
Store this chicken in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- It’s important to rinse the chicken and pat it dry so the seasonings and BBQ sauce will adhere to it.
- Be sure your chicken is baked through, but be careful not to overcook it.
- For extra crispy skin, you can broil your chicken for a couple of minutes at the end of the baking process.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
If you poke the meat and the juices run clear, the chicken is done. For the most accurate assessment of doneness, use a meat thermometer. If it reads 165 degrees, the chicken is done.
They can. Color doesn’t necessarily indicate doneness, especially when it comes to dark meat. According to the USDA, even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices.
Dark meat takes longer to cook than white meat because of its higher fat content and density.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy BBQ? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Legs
- medium saucepan
- Baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 6-7 chicken legs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted cold butter diced
- Set the oven to preheat at 360F. Rinse and pat dry the chicken legs and place in a baking dish.
- Salt the legs and sprinkle with black pepper. Other spices can be used as desired.
- Place ketchup in a saucepan, add Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, paprika. Stir and heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Drizzle the sauce over the legs and pour the remaining sauce into a baking dish.
- Put pieces of cold butter on top of the legs.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes with foil and another 10-15 minutes without foil to brown the legs.
- Make sure that the legs are baked, but at the same time they are not overcooked and do not become dry.
- Serve the legs hot, with the remaining BBQ sauce, fresh herbs.