Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies take classic chocolate chip cookies and infuses them with a blast of holiday flavor thanks to crushed peppermint. They’re the perfect holiday treat.
The only thing better than holiday recipes are easy holiday recipes, and this one fits that bill perfectly. These cookies are simply the best chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever make. We just added peppermint to make them holly jolly-licious.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a basic cookie recipe that only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s so easy to make.
- Chocolate and peppermint are a classic combination.
- Everyone loves cookies during the holidays!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This is a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, and it uses simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. The main players are below, but you’ll find the complete list of ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Softened butter
- Brown sugar
- Dark chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermints
🔪 How to Make Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making these cookies is a breeze. Because it’s a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe, it comes together quickly and easily.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Then, add the vanilla and egg and beat to combine.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
Step 4: Make the Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Then, fold in the dark chocolate chips and crushed peppermint.
Step 5: Bake
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the edges of the cookies just begin to brown.
Step 6: Cool
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Nuts – Add almond, walnuts, or pecans for even more flavor.
- Chocolate Chips – You can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or even white chocolate chips in these cookies.
- Year-Round – Omit the peppermint and make delicious chocolate chip cookies any time of year.
You’ll only need some basic baking equipment to make these cookies.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
Store these for up to a week in an air-tight container at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the fridge. For longer storage, freeze them in an air-tight container for up to 2 months.
This is a basic recipe, but even basic recipes can have little tips. We have a couple of those for you.
- To keep your cookies tender, don’t overmix the dough.
- When adding the chocolate chips and peppermint, fold, don’t mix. Again, this helps keep the cookies soft and tender.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
They were invented in the 1930s by Ruth Wakefield who ran, you guessed it, the Toll House Restaurant in Whitman, Massachusetts.
The trick is to underbake them. Take them out before they’re completely baked and let them cool on the hot cookie sheet to finish baking.
Like most cookies, they’ll last for about a week at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy cookies? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- mixing bowls
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Wire rack
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and egg and beat to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until a thick dough forms.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips and peppermint candy.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop out the dough and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, leaving around one inch between each cookie for spreading.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are just beginning to brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.