This Red Velvet Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe is the perfect adult treat on a cold winter day. Milk, chocolate chips, and Baileys Irish Cream come together to create a rich, creamy adult hot chocolate recipe that will leave everyone warm and happy.
The cold is here, and it’s here in full-force. That means it’s time to bust out the warm drinks, and if you love adult beverages to take the edge of the cold and the day, this tasty hot chocolate is for you! We took traditional hot chocolate and infused it with Baileys Irish cream to create a rich, creamy adult version of the classic winter drink that you and all your guests will love.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It combines the richness of hot chocolate and Baileys Irish Cream into a delicious adult hot chocolate recipe.
- It only takes a handful of simple ingredients to make.
- It’s an incredibly easy recipe to make.
- Homemade hot chocolate in any form is always so warming and satisfying.
You’ll only need 6 ingredients to make this delicious hot chocolate recipe, and 3 of those are for topping the drink! It’s such an easy ingredient list.
You’ll find all the ingredients you need to make this recipe right here, but check the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact quantities.
For the Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Chips
- Baileys Irish Cream
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Red sprinkles
🔪 How to Make This Red Velvet Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe
This is an easy variation of simple stovetop hot chocolate. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps, and you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Heat the Milk and Chocolate Chips
Add the milk and chocolate chips to a heavy-bottom saucepan. then, heat the mixture over medium heat until the chocolate chips melt. Stir well to blend.
Step 2: Add the Baileys
Add the Baileys Irish Cream to the pan and heat for another 2 minutes.
Step 3: Enjoy
Pour the hot chocolate into (2) 8-ounce glasses and top with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and red sprinkles. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Add a SMALL pinch of cayenne pepper to create a slightly warm hot chocolate with more depth of flavor.
- Add a teaspoon of instant coffee for coffee-infused variation. It’s delicious!
- Use dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate chips to create different versions of this hot chocolate.
- Omit the Baileys for a family-friendly homemade hot chocolate.
If you love this toasty winter treat, then we think you’ll enjoy our snowman hot cocoa bombs.
- Measuring cups
- Heavy-bottom saucepan
- 2 glasses
Refrigerator: Refrigerate any leftover hot chocolate WITHOUT toppings for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
What to Serve with Red Velvet Baileys Hot Chocolate
For the ultimate flavor combination, pair this boozy hot chocolate with sweet and salty options like:
- Roasted nuts
- Fresh berries
- Coffee cake
- Your favorite quick bread
- Stir your hot chocolate continuously to avoid sticking and ensure everything is fully combined.
- Be sure to cook your hot chocolate for a minimum of 2 minutes after adding the Baileys so it’s piping hot.
- A heavy-bottom saucepan is recommended for the most even melting because of its superior heat distribution.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Hot chocolate is a heated chocolate drink made with milk or water, chocolate, and usually a sweetener.
Although the names are used interchangeably, hot chocolate and hot cocoa are not the same. Hot chocolate is made with solid chocolate melted in hot milk, cream, or water. Hot cocoa is made with a powdered cocoa base combined with sugar and dissolved in hot water or milk.
Any high-quality chocolate will work well. Hot chocolate is a recipe that highlights the ingredients, and if you use a cheap chocolate, you’ll definitely taste it.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy Baileys? Then try these delicious recipes:
- Baileys Strawberry Mug Cake
- Baileys Milkshake with Brownies
- Baileys Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Red Velvet Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Bailey’s
- Whipped Cream
- Mini Marshmallows
- Red Sprinkles
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add the Milk, and Chocolate Chips, and heat over Medium Heat until the Chocolate Chips are completely melted,
- Stir well to blend.
- Add the Bailey’s, and heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat, and pour or ladle the Hot Chocolate into two – 8 ounce glasses.
- Top with Whipped Cream, and Mini Marshmallows, and Red Sprinkles.